Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Questions and Answers
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Questions and Answers Not sure where to post a question? Post it here.

Old Sun Apr 29, 2018, 06:56 PM

low hemoglobin 1 year after stem cell transplant

I am wondering if anyone has experienced what I have and might have a creative solution. I am one year out from an otherwise very successful stem cell transplant for MDS. My sister's stem cells are fully engrafted and my WBCs and platelets are solid. I still however have low hemoglobin and I have 2-3 transfusions a month. My doc thinks my strommal cells were damaged when I had breast cancer 20 years ago (chemo caused the MDS) but she thinks they are slowly healing. We tried promacta, steroids, and immunosuppressants. Anyone else have this situation and can shed light? I would be very grateful

Rebecca
Old Tue May 1, 2018, 12:16 AM

I can't say that I had the same exact circumstances, but I had low blood counts for over a year until I got PCP about 1.5 years out and the doctor gave me about 3 shots of neupogen. Since that time, all of my counts stabilized and have been close to or above low normal.

I don't know if there is any true causality, but the timing worked that way for me. Prior to that, my HgB was hanging out around 11 or 12, WBC always between 2 and 4, and platelets below 100. I am now 4 years out, have 17.2 HgB, WBC between 4.5 and 9, and platelets around 140.

It might be worth the conversation.
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.
Old Sun May 13, 2018, 01:03 PM

wow

Thank you DAn.. what I would give for your hemoglobin. Mine is between 7.0 and 8.0... what is PCP?
Old Tue Jun 11, 2019, 07:25 PM

Rebecca, PCP is Pneumocystis pneumonia.