Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Wed May 26, 2010, 06:20 AM

What does BMT means to me?

Hi all. This might sound like a strange question, but I read somewhere that it is good to know for yourself what your transplant means to you. Because when you are going through the difficult bits of it, it's good to keep focus on what you are wanting from this. And of course "LIFE" is the obvious reason for most of us... but is there more to it for me? Or you? I'm really seeking this out.

It's a long story that I won't bore you with all the details, but this year I sadly said good-bye to a very important part of my life. And I hoped the agony of that would soon be over. And now I'm facing BMT by myself, and I want to be ok with that. Is there new life for me out the other side of this? I guess I would just like to know where my life is going... and goals are hard to put in place when grief and depression seems to rule my life.

BMT is a new beginning... but for what? I need to find that out for myself. Just thinking out loud. But welcome any thoughts...

Jules
Julie (38yrs); dx AA 1996 & treated w/ATG, cyclosporine & G-CSF; 2010 dx int-1 secondary MDS, low platelets, on prevention antibiotics, fevers of unknown origin, MUD found for BMT when the time is right, which is now! MDS transformed to AML after many infections.
Old Wed May 26, 2010, 05:22 PM
Owner

This is a good question, Julie. We each learn about ourselves in our own ways, and while nobody can answer you better than you can yourself, it's good that you are reflecting on what it will all mean to you.

Diagnosis of a serious illness is a life-changing event that marks a transition point in our lives. So is the passing of a loved one, or a change in personal circumstances: moving, changing jobs, getting married/divorced, having children, starting/finishing school, etc. Change can be frightening but also a chance for a new start. That's especially true with transplants because of their risks and their ability to cure you, not to mention that getting marrow or stem cells from another person really is making you "somebody new."

My wife and I got something extremely important from her illness and transplant: an appreciation of what really matters in life.

Before, our life had been wrapped up in trivial details of daily life. What needs fixing around the house? Should we buy this or that? How can juggle all the things we have to do today?

Now, we know that those things were a lot less important than we thought. What matters is simple: enjoying being with each other and our families and friends, having our health, and doing things to improve ourselves and help others.

We came to realize that worrying about petty annoyances was a luxury! These days, when we find ourselves being frustrated because our store coupon expired or the car needs a repair, we laugh at ourselves and remember when just getting home from the hospital or reaching our next wedding anniversary was our goal.

Rather than simply be carried along by life, it's now clear to us that we should set good goals, enjoy what we do every day, appreciate the people we're with, and not let little frustrations bother us. It's unfortunate that it took a shock like bone marrow failure, and then recovery, to learn that.
Old Thu May 27, 2010, 09:15 AM

Dear Julliana,

Last year i was diagnosed with Very Severe AA.I and my family thought that what will we do?First I took ATG and we wait 3 months.But this was not cure me.Hard times start again.One day My doctor came and said to me you are young and active person.You need not to live with plt and red blood transfusion because i got 1 packet plt and blood at ten day.So i decided to go BMT.I investigate what is BMT and side effects.I ask doctors,nurses.They said to me it is very travmatic and hard operation.Now it has been ten months passed from my bmt.Now i turn back my job.But this ten month is not easy for me and my family.Still i have problems but i prepare myself to cope with difficulties.Now i am at my second life,everthing is worthy for me.İ dont now my future but today is important for me.