Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > News and Events
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News and Events News related to bone marrow failure diseases

Old Mon Aug 7, 2023, 11:49 AM

Article on Microbiome and GVHD

This is an interesting article on the connection between pretreatment gut microbiome and the severity of GVHD. They are just in the the beginning stages of understanding the connection as well as the ability to use it in managing GVHD.

https://www.fredhutch.org/en/news/ce...-bacteria.html
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Sat Aug 12, 2023, 06:28 PM

Another article on Gut Microbiome in pediatric BMT

https://ashpublications.org/blood/ar...searchresult=1

Click on the PDF for the full article. I find reading the key points and abstract, and then skipping to the discussion/conclusion most helpful with these studies. The middle part is way over my head but a bit easier if I already know the conclusion if I attempt to read it.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2023, 09:47 AM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlene View Post
https://ashpublications.org/blood/ar...searchresult=1

Click on the PDF for the full article. I find reading the key points and abstract, and then skipping to the discussion/conclusion most helpful with these studies. The middle part is way over my head but a bit easier if I already know the conclusion if I attempt to read it.
Marlene,

I read the full article to learn what their study found, and whether their conclusions were of benefit only for prognostication or if the results suggested particular treatment approaches.

The researchers started with the knowledge that, in adults, diversity of gut microbiota before transplant and at the time of engraftment led to better outcomes, namely higher survival rates and lower rates of acute Graft versus Host Disease.

They found that there's a similar correlation for children, but that diversity of gut microbiota was predictive only when measured before transplant, not at the time of engraftment.

When it comes to treatment, they point out two possibilities: nutritional changes and fecal microbiota transplants, both with the goal of increasing microbiota diversity. The study shows that these treatment approaches would need to be pre-transplant, whereas in adults these treatments could be beneficial either pre-transplant or at the time of engraftment.
Old Sun Oct 1, 2023, 12:15 PM

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your insight on this. Research being done on the microbiome is connecting more diseases to an out of balance microbiome in the gut. At some point, I expect a standard physical exam will include checking the health of ones microbiome in addition to a CBC and Chem panel. Addressing the gut dysbiosis, before a disease process takes hold, makes sense.

There's a connection to the H.Pylori infection and MDS. If I can find the study, I'll post it.

Take care,
Marlene