Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Sat Jun 27, 2009, 01:43 PM

Stem Cell Transplant

Hi Everyone,
I am looking for information about stem cell transplant procedures. I have an appointment next month at the U of Chicago to talk with the head of the bone marrow transplant department over there about whether or not I am a candidate for this procedure. I have a mitigating disease that might very well eliminate me as a candidate (PKD - polycystic kidney disease) - but my kidney doc gave me a referral and wants me to look into it. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much,
Kathy
Kathy, 47, diagnosed with MDS IPSS Intermediate Risk, Refractory Anemia and Thrombocytopenia both secondary to MDS. 8/06-treatments include 14 shots Vidaza monthly, aeranesp, neulasta when needed also have polycystic kidney disease
Old Sun Jun 28, 2009, 10:54 AM
Owner

Suitability for a transplant depends on many factors, including age, overall health condition, the state of your MDS, the presence of other diseases or conditions, availability of a stem cell donor, how good the donor match is, your previous and current treatments and how successful they were/are. It takes a lot of expertise to make a recommendation based on so many factors and the risk/benefit tradeoff between a undergoing a stem cell transplant and continuing other treatment. Rather than tell you flat-out yes or no, the transplant doctors may explain these tradeoffs and gauge your own feelings about the choice.

Do you know who the donor would be?

Your PKD is certainly a complication they need to consider. Their primary concern regarding the PKD may be susceptibility to infection (if that's been the case for you) and the risk of an infection spreading to your kidneys while you are neutropenic. I would think that was also a consideration in having put you on Vidaza.

You've told us in your previous posts that you probably had MDS for years before it was diagnosed, that Vidaza hasn't lost its effectiveness for you, that you're under 50, that you were a swimmer (do you still get to swim or stay active?), and that you have a positive attitude and want to keep enjoying your granddaughter. All of this may affect the choices you have to make and the advice you get.

Please let us know what the doctors tell you at your appointment.
Old Mon Jun 29, 2009, 09:05 PM

Stem Cell Transplant

Thanks so much for writing, Neil. I don't know who the donor would be. I have a brother who doesn't share any of the diseases I have as well as my father who is a very healthy and active 81. I do still continue to run, swim, and stay pretty active - except of course during treatment weeks and the week that follows. On those days, I just listen to my body and do what makes sense. I'm looking forward to my appoint on 7/9 to hear what my options are. I find it more difficult to work on treatment weeks as well as the week after. During these weeks, I seem to have no short-term memory which makes doing a good job at work a bit more of a struggle than it normally would be (I'm a teacher). Thanks to everyone on this formum for their support and expertise. I will, indeed, share what the doc says. My father is going to the appt with me to lend his support.
Kathy
Kathy, 47, diagnosed with MDS IPSS Intermediate Risk, Refractory Anemia and Thrombocytopenia both secondary to MDS. 8/06-treatments include 14 shots Vidaza monthly, aeranesp, neulasta when needed also have polycystic kidney disease