Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Sun Feb 27, 2011, 07:20 PM

Pregnancy

I am 35, single and wasnt even thinking about pregnancy until my last visit to the gynocologist. My last platelet count was 23 and doesn't seem to change much from that level. Talking with my new gyno, he strongly recommended I not become pregnant with platelets that low. I've never really thought about it. But now I'm a bit sad, realising that my opportunity to choose to have a baby has been taken away for the moment.

I havent been here for a while, and just thought to pop in to somehow try to feel better about it all. He also mentioned that platelet transfusions are particularly difficult to get, out here in the country, if I needed them in a hurry. So I need something positive to think about!!!!!

Thanks for being there for support, my dear friends. Talk soon. xx Jules
Julie (38yrs); dx AA 1996 & treated w/ATG, cyclosporine & G-CSF; 2010 dx int-1 secondary MDS, low platelets, on prevention antibiotics, fevers of unknown origin, MUD found for BMT when the time is right, which is now! MDS transformed to AML after many infections.
Old Tue Mar 1, 2011, 05:25 AM

Hi Julianna.

Is IVF with a view to freeze embryos, eggs, or ovarian tissue an option for you? I was able to do the former even with very low platelets (though I find it odd they can't transfuse platelets for you?), once the professor warned me I might never be able to have children after my transplant. Since my transplant was rapidly approaching, they fast-tracked us into the Assisted Conception Unit and the whole cycle took 4-5 weeks from the first visit. So they can do it very fast when they need to! It's very reassuring knowing we've at least got 7 chances at parenthood waiting for us in a few years should we choose to try.

cheers, melissa
36/F - 1984 SAA treated with ATG [complete remission until] Oct 08 - burst blood vessels in eyes and low platelets; Jan 09 - AA & hypo-MDS; July 09 - BMT (RIC MUD PSCT) July 10 - 10k for Anthony Nolan (1yr post BMT! 53:48) Sep 10 - Wedding! I've run 5 marathons now!! (PB 3:30!)
Old Wed Mar 2, 2011, 10:36 PM

Thanks heaps for that - you are right, there are options if I need to choose them. I guess I feel better knowing that.

And about the platelets transfusions... they would have to fly them in from Melbourne, which they tend not to do very much. I guess if anything happened to me I might have to be flown to Melbourne myself. But nothing will probably happen right now. Who really knows though.

Thanks for listening to my ramble!
Julie (38yrs); dx AA 1996 & treated w/ATG, cyclosporine & G-CSF; 2010 dx int-1 secondary MDS, low platelets, on prevention antibiotics, fevers of unknown origin, MUD found for BMT when the time is right, which is now! MDS transformed to AML after many infections.