Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > AA
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AA Aplastic anemia

Old Wed Apr 22, 2020, 09:45 AM

A Friend's Passing

All,

I just noticed from Facebook that one of our members on MarrowForums, magpie75, has passed away.

Maggie reached out to me early on in my AA journey and shared how similar our symptoms were -- although she was many years ahead of me in the process. We were able to correspond by email a few times, and we eventually became friends on Facebook.

Although we were from different parts of the country and had obviously different backgrounds, interests, and political leanings, it was great to sort of keep up with her through the years. I always took comfort in knowing she was there to advise me on my blood situation if I needed it and to share her wisdom and experiences.

Anyway, I just wanted to pass on this bit of information. I don't know how active Maggie had been on this forum in recent years after her BMT. I also do not know any of the details of her passing. Please keep her family in your prayers!

David M
Old Wed Apr 22, 2020, 01:06 PM
Owner

Maggie

This is very sad news, but thanks for letting us know, David.

Maggie was an aplastic anemia patient for 14 years, but her low blood counts (pancytopenia) first came to light when she was about 43, a decade before her diagnosis with severe aplastic anemia in 2006, at age 52.

She had a bone marrow transplant at Johns Hopkins in November 2008, when she was 55. Her brother Herb, a perfect match, was her bone marrow donor. After her recovery in 2009, she considered herself cured of aplastic anemia. She lived abut 23 years since first finding out that she had low blood counts, and she made the most of that time.

Maggie, who almost always had a positive outlook, posted from April 2006 to December 2009 on her WordPress blog, which is still online She wrote about family activities, friends, and her medical journey. Maggie's large family, especially her husband Bill and their daughter Sara, supported her all the way. She had brothers Herb, Ken, and Bob and sisters Edna, Nora, and Phyllis.

As Marrowforums member magpie75, she posted only occasionally from October 2006 to November 2009, but continued to visit our site until October of last year. We'll miss her.

Here are photos from her blog. On the left, Bill and Maggie. On the right, Maggie and brother Herb, her donor.

Name:  magpie75.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  270.7 KB
Old Sat Apr 25, 2020, 03:07 PM

Thanks for posting about Maggie
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.