Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > General Health Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Health Issues Diet and appetite, sleep and fatigue, pain management, exercise, etc.

Old Fri Feb 1, 2013, 11:38 PM

Angry Norovirus?!?!

Yikes! Anyone else here had this yet? Not fun . . . not fun at all. My hubby went into the hospital (practically at gun point; he is both male and German ) Wednesday morning (via ER, by ambulance). Weak as a kitten, delirious, unable to stand or walk . . . nausea, diarrhea, vomiting . . . temp had started low-grade (Monday midnight) then spiked to 101.5 when we went in. That part is all finally starting to get better, but the blood counts are taking a nose dive . . . I'm worried that this might all be triggering the tMDS into over-drive?

In order, these are the counts from: Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, followed by ref range:

WBC: 4.7, 4.1, 2.7, (3.8-10.8)
RBC: 3.17, 2.73, 2.44, (4.2-5.8)
HGB: 10.7, 9.2, 8.1, (13.4-18)
HCT: 34.0, 28.7, 25.8, (40.0-54.0.0)
Plt: 101, 78, 68, (140-400)

We had just finished a two-and-a-half week run of visiting ALL his doctors and lots of tests and labs and cultures and scans and whatnot . . . getting pretty good reports . . . and were hoping for a break from all of this . . . maybe even get away for a night. There went that idea.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any thoughts?

Thanks!
hubby 73, dx NHL 2001, CNS involvement. SCT (auto) 5/08 [dx UTUC renal pelvis, 2010/surgeries/MMC], MANY recurrences, chemos, surgeries, rad. dx t-MDS 3/11: IPSS 1.5 (Int-2); MDA 11, RCMD trilineage, inc. Fe, ring sideroblasts, 7q del/mono 7 (51.5%), 46,XY,t(6,17)(p22;q25)[4]/45,XY,-7[4]/46,XY[12].
Old Sat Feb 2, 2013, 12:52 AM

I've had this a couple of times in the past three or four years. It is very easy to get dehydrated.
Dallas, Texas - Age 81 - Pure Red Cell Aplasia began March 2005 - Tried IVIG - Then cyclosporine and prednisone. Then Danazol, was added. Then only Danazol . HG reached 16.3 March 2015. Taken off all meds. Facebook PRCA group https://www.facebook.com/groups/PureRedCellAplasia/
Old Sat Feb 2, 2013, 01:00 AM

It is very common to experience a drop in all counts, sometimes a significant drop, when fighting a viral infection. Even a healthy person's blood would show drops, but healthy people generally don't get bloodwork when they have common things like colds and the flu, so you wouldn't know it.

Here's hoping the counts pick back up once he's over this viral illness.
Nicole, mom to Evan (20); diagnosed SAA November 2007, hATG mid-November 2007, no response after 6 months, unrelated 9/10 BMT June 2008, no GVH, health completely restored thanks to our beloved donor Bryan from Tennessee.

www.caringbridge.org/visit/evanmacneil
Old Mon Feb 4, 2013, 12:34 PM

Hi there,

I had the flu in Oct with a fever of 104 for several days but no vomiting or diarrhea so I didn't get dehydrated. My counts all tanked while I was sick, and rebounded to their normal low after.

I hope he is feeling better soon.

Deb
Old Tue Feb 5, 2013, 03:09 PM

Home Sweet Home

Just got Jens home again, thank goodness! Not quite a week . . . sure felt good to walk in the front door.

They did have to give him 2 units of red Saturday . . . that helped with the H&H. He is due for the Neulasta Thursday anyway, and we'll just keep an eye on the platelets. For now, it sure is nice to be home.

I always try to stay with him 24/7 . . . too many things can happen if you aren't right there watching . . . and I'm sure ready for a real bed tonight. The furry children were just falling over each other to greet Jens. Gizzy (dog) is sitting in his lap "helping" him eat chicken and Matti (one of the cats) is sitting on the back of the chair licking his head. Ted (another cat) is pretty grumpy and offended by it all . . . Jens will probably have to get down on the floor and make up to him . . . and Suzi (*my* cat) is just glad to have me back home.

Now we just work on getting life back to normal
hubby 73, dx NHL 2001, CNS involvement. SCT (auto) 5/08 [dx UTUC renal pelvis, 2010/surgeries/MMC], MANY recurrences, chemos, surgeries, rad. dx t-MDS 3/11: IPSS 1.5 (Int-2); MDA 11, RCMD trilineage, inc. Fe, ring sideroblasts, 7q del/mono 7 (51.5%), 46,XY,t(6,17)(p22;q25)[4]/45,XY,-7[4]/46,XY[12].