Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Wed Aug 13, 2014, 05:18 PM

I feel like I need a dictonary to read the bm report

We have yet to speak with Dr. Paquette since he did the biopsy report, we've only met with my hubbys lymphoma oncologist. she gave me a copy of the report - I'm used to reading about lymphoma, which had different "key" words if you will to look for in biopsy reports. If someone can help me with some of this veribage that would be helpful.

I recapped some of it - I'm unclear mostly about what it means to be positive on some cells with CD34, 56 and 117. and what they are saying on the BONE MARROW SMEARS AND TOUCH PREPARATION - what does "reversed M:E ratio of 0.8:1." mean?

FINAL DIAGNOSIS:
- mildly hypercellular marrow with erythroid preponderance and scattered multilineage dysplasia, consistent with MDS/RCMD
- no excess blasts, supported by immuophenotyping
- flow cytromtric studies demonstrate occasional abnormal myeloblasats with aberrant expression of cd56 (subset)
- small non-paratrabecular lymphoid aggretate, non-diagnostic
- adqueate iron stores per the iron stains without ring sideroblasts
- reticulin special stain demonstrates focal mild increase of reticulin fibrosis
- peripheral smear demonstrates macrocytic anemia, thrombocytopenia, occasional dysgranulopoiesis, basophilia, and rare immature myeloids

PERIPHERAL BLOOD SMEAR - shows hypercromic, macrocytic erythrocyes, polychromatic red cells are not easily detectable. the platelet count is markedly decreased. the white cell count is normal with a differential of 59 neut; 7 myel; 6 bands, 6 eso; 4 baso, 17 lymph, 4 mono. rare immature myeloids are noted. the granulocytes show hypogranulation and occasional pelgeroid forms.

BONE MARROW SMEARS AND TOUCH PREPARATION - reveal progressive maturation of all lineages with an erthroid preponderance and a reversed M:E ratio of 0.8:1. The erthroid lineage demonstrates megaloblastic changes, karyorrhexis and cytoplasmic-nuclear asynchrony. the myeloid lineage demonstrates micro- or hyper granular forms. megakaryocytes are present in adequate numbers with micro and hypolobated forms seen. scattered lymphocytes and plasma cells are present. there is no evidence of eosinophilia or basophilia. no excess blasts are seen. iron stores are decreased per the iron stain.

ANTIBODY / PROBE:
CD34 positive <5%
CD117 positive <5%
occasional abnormal myeloblasts with aberrant expression of cd 56 coexpressing cd34 and cd117

I know you are not doctors, but do have experience in seeing bm results for MDS and might be familiar with the terms used.

thanks.

Carrie, wife to Mike (51)
Old Thu Aug 14, 2014, 07:09 AM

This website explains the significance of some CD markers:

http://www.mdsbeacon.com/news/2011/0...ase-prognosis/

This website defines all the CD markers:
http://www.pathologyoutlines.com/cdmarkers.html
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2014, 04:00 PM

ok thanks............
Old Thu Aug 14, 2014, 07:50 PM

very nice reference...
Married, father of three daughters; now 46; diagnosed w/ Major form MDS 6/18/2013; had low counts across the board; Multiple chromosome abnormalities; Finished 2nd round Dacogen 9/13; SCT - Oct. 31, 2013; Sibling match 10/10 ; 5.5% blasts down to 3%, now 1% (post BMT)