Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transfusions and Iron Overload
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transfusions and Iron Overload Blood and platelet transfusions, iron testing and treatments

Old Thu Apr 5, 2012, 02:02 PM

Exjade vs. Desferal

Are there any advantages to either drug ?? Exjade, or Desferal that is ....
My ferritin level is now 2239 . Dr. wants me to come in weekly for Desferal IV ..... what do you guys think ????
Old Thu Apr 5, 2012, 02:38 PM

If it's just once a week, I don't think you'll see a big difference especially if you are still getting transfusions. Both drugs do a better job when used daily.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Thu Apr 5, 2012, 03:48 PM

Desferal Exjade

Hi Annmonster,
I wonder if your doctor really meant that you should get Desferal one day/week. I have been receiving Desferal in a homepump during 4 days in connection with txs. As far as I understand that drug should be given during several days. The drug has been on the market almost 40 years and doesn't decrease counts.

Exjade is easy to take since it is a pill but has more adverse effects like increasing creatinine. I could only take a low dose since Exjade decreased my WBCs.

In many patients both drugs can increase HGB eventually due to less oxidative stress in the bone marrow.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A