Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Questions and Answers
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Questions and Answers Not sure where to post a question? Post it here.

Old Sun Mar 28, 2010, 11:12 AM

Leg pain

My mom had ATG treatment in Feb. and now is on Cyclosporine and Steroids. Her Neutrophils are at 0 whicj I am very worried about and she has had quite a few transfusions since. One thing that has been very painful for her is pain in her legs and hips. She has what she calls a radiating pain that switches spots quickly. It can be in her calf one second and then the next it is in her hip or her other leg. She says it gets so bad that she has to breathe through it sometimes and it keeps her awake at night. She also wakes in the night with terrible cramping in her feet that she has to get out of bed and walk around for bit to get rid of. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what she can do to help with this pain. Is there something that she can do or take to help? Any feedback would be much appreciated! Thank you!!!!
Old Sun Mar 28, 2010, 01:17 PM

I have had cramping in the past. The Cyclosporine depletes magnesium. You should ask her doctor about taking magnesium oxide. You can get it without prescription. It did take about three months before it took affect for me.
Dallas, Texas - Age 81 - Pure Red Cell Aplasia began March 2005 - Tried IVIG - Then cyclosporine and prednisone. Then Danazol, was added. Then only Danazol . HG reached 16.3 March 2015. Taken off all meds. Facebook PRCA group https://www.facebook.com/groups/PureRedCellAplasia/
Old Sun Mar 28, 2010, 04:07 PM

Sorting cramps

Hi,
I am being treated with Azacytidine for CMML (6 months now) and have the occasional few days with night cramps. Not nice to be woken with a terrible pain!
I now take tablets called 'Crampex' which are specifically for cramp at night. Usually when I get cramp the tablets stop it in a few minutes. They are made by a UK company called Thorton and Ross but I guess there must be similar tablets in other countries.
Hope this helps!
Nick

M57, UK, diagnosed Dec 2008
Old Sun Mar 28, 2010, 04:24 PM

Thank you!

Ahhh, so that is what it is all about. She is seeing her doctor this week so she will ask about it. It takes a long time to kick in though hey? Thank you so much for your response!!

Susanne
Old Mon Mar 29, 2010, 11:57 PM

Definitely add magnesium to the mix!

I agree, your Mom definitely needs more Magnesium in her diet. She could get prescription Mag, or simply add more in her diet - eating cashews, and almonds, for instance.

Suggest she try flexing her foot next time a cramp comes on, as opposed to pointing her toes. When my magnesium was low (just after ATG) I would be woken by awful cramps sometimes, and trying that really helped.
Old Wed Mar 31, 2010, 05:39 PM

Thank you!

Thanks for the responses. I will definatley let my Mom know. Any information that can make things easier for her is much appreciated!

Susanne