Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Mon Aug 20, 2012, 07:45 PM

Hemorrhoids

Looking for any information that can help my dad with his hemorroids. He started getting them last weekend before the internal bleeding started. He has tried Preperation H, Tucks pads, and a prescription that the doctor called in with steroids.

Are there any other options that anyone has used that seemed to help?

Obviously we can't use any suppositories due to his WC being .06.

We have bought him a donut to sit on which worked for a day or two, but he says it's no longer comfortable.

They have started to bleed which If I am correct is a good thing, right?

Any advice anyone could give me would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much,
Kim
Kim daughter of Phil 76; Diagnosed 2011 with MDS, Refractory anemia with excessive blasts; Diagnosed 2012 with AML; Treated with Vidaza and Dacogen; Currently only being treated with blood transfusions
Old Mon Aug 20, 2012, 09:11 PM

I would call his dr is he is bleeding hon. or go to the er. bleeding is bad with mds and low platelets.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2012, 09:08 AM

Kim;
I agree with Bebop - bleeding - of any sort - is not good for an MDS patient. But, if he refuses to go, and it is still SLIGHTLY bleeding - go to the Drug store and get a styptic pencil (in the shaving aisle - they used to use it a lot before eletric razors) and see if he can or will let you apply it. But - that is a last resort - always good to have one on hand anyhow - but like Bebop said - a ER visit is probably a good thing in his case.

Beth
Old Tue Aug 21, 2012, 11:20 AM

PRCA only affects red blood cells. I found that I was losing enough blood that I was offsetting any gains the medications were making. It doesn't take much.

I got mine "banded" (I don't know the technical term). It is almost painless and you feel better immediately. Check this out as a possibility.
Dallas, Texas - Age 81 - Pure Red Cell Aplasia began March 2005 - Tried IVIG - Then cyclosporine and prednisone. Then Danazol, was added. Then only Danazol . HG reached 16.3 March 2015. Taken off all meds. Facebook PRCA group https://www.facebook.com/groups/PureRedCellAplasia/