Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > AA
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AA Aplastic anemia

Old Wed Jul 25, 2018, 06:48 AM

Seven weeks post ATG treatment .

Hi All
My wife is seven weeks post treatment for SAA/ hMDS . She has been on weekly red cell and platelet transfusions since end of treatment . After her last platelet transfusion her count was 42 and now a week later it has gone up to 61 . I just wondered if this is a sign of responding to treatment or a blip . No doubt we will see what next week's CBC has to show . But my curiosity got the better of me .
Regards ASQ
Old Wed Jul 25, 2018, 04:39 PM

It's too hard to predict base on one CBC. Like you stated, you're just gonna have to wait for the next CBC. It's very frustrating... with this disease, there's a lot waiting involved. If the intervals between transfusions lengthen, that will be a good sign.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Thu Jul 26, 2018, 01:40 AM

That's a very good sign to me - especially if no transfusion was responsible for that rise
Old Thu Jul 26, 2018, 04:18 AM

Marlene and Hopeful , thanks for your replies to my post.
It is encouraging that platelets have risen . But will have to wait a bit longer to see if it is maintained . My wife's heamatologist is very happy with the way things are progressing . It's all gone pretty well apart from a fungal infection that cleared up quickly . Hoping things are on the up .
Regards ASQ
Old Thu Jul 26, 2018, 09:15 AM

Smile

Yes, I had similar experience. My heamatologist was happy that I don’t need RBC transfusion as often after 3cycles of Vidaza. I was skeptical at the time. Now I am in remission.
Fungal infection cleared is another very great sign.
Female, age 66, dx MDS RAEB with 15-20% blasts 9/2017. Blood counts have normalized after 3 rounds of Vidaza. Finished six cycles of Vidaza. No treatment since March 10, 2018. Currently monthly CBC, will resume Vidaza when blood counts are low.
Old Thu Jul 26, 2018, 09:31 AM

Glad to hear you are in remission , long may it continue .
Best wishes ASQ
Old Tue Jul 31, 2018, 09:50 AM

Good news .

My wife has just had her weekly bloods and Consultant appointment . The good news is that the platelets have continued the upward trend and have reached 82 . The other blood lines have risen as well . The Consultant was pleased and thinks this is the beginning of an upward trend . Let's hope so . Still early days .
Old Tue Jul 31, 2018, 05:48 PM

That's encouraging news. Hope it continues
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Wed Aug 1, 2018, 04:51 AM

Thanks Marlene .
Old Sun Sep 9, 2018, 12:30 AM

Follow Up

My wife is just a few weeks behind your wife’s ATG schedule. Interested to hear how she’s been doing in the weeks since your last post.

My wife’s anc is around 1.1-1.6 any given day of the week, weekly blood tx, and platelet tax every other day.
ATG end of July, CSA (150mg 2x a day), Eltrombopag 150mg/day.
Old Sun Sep 9, 2018, 12:36 PM

Hi Justin,. My wife has responded well to IST . She had an early response and bloods have risen and stabilised .
Although still under range Hb 97platelets 1000 and neutrophils around 1-1.5 . She hasn't had a transfusion for a few weeks now . She feels well at present .
She was quite unwell before treatment when Hb was 72 and platelets were 5 and numbers were falling week on week . Post treatment had a few problems with antifungals making her poorly ( itraconazole ) but a change of meds sorted that . At present she is on 125 twice a day cyclosporine and that seems to keep her within therapeutic range . She still gets tired but considering what she has been through she feels very well .
However we have seen the head of her treatment team recently who advised that a SCT is needed as her SAA had progressed to hypoplastic MDS . We reasoned that transplant treatment wouldn't be suggested unless it was absolutely necessary . The consent forms are signed and the wheels are in motion . So a transplant will be carried out maybe around Christmas time . My wife just wants to get on with it now and all being well be cured of the hMDS/PNH and fibrosis .
So that's where we are up to . I hope you wife is improving and feeling as well as she can be. I wish you both well .
Regards ASQ
Old Sun Dec 30, 2018, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinSF View Post
My wife is just a few weeks behind your wife’s ATG schedule. Interested to hear how she’s been doing in the weeks since your last post.

My wife’s anc is around 1.1-1.6 any given day of the week, weekly blood tx, and platelet tax every other day.
ATG end of July, CSA (150mg 2x a day), Eltrombopag 150mg/day.
Hi

I had similar treatment started last year.
I m still on Eltrombopag after an year n ist

How is your wife doing?
Old Tue Jan 1, 2019, 08:02 AM

Hi Dishavik . My wife responded very well to the ATG/cyclosporine treatment , her blood lines picked up quickly and now with in normalish range . Her diagnosis changed from SAA to hMDS- U with PNH clone and fibrosis . She was told that she would have to have a SCT . She was given a date for later this month . However a recent BMB has shown that she is no longer aplastic , the dysplasia has all but gone and the PNH clone has shrunk . The transplant team are having a meeting next week to decide whether or not to go ahead with SCT or wait and see how things progress .
An excellent response to ATG /Cyclosporine treatment.
I hope things improve for you and wish you all the best
ASQ