Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Thu Oct 2, 2008, 09:23 PM

Who can I get to Stay with my sister near the Hospital?

My sister is 47 and will be getting a SCT. The hospital is two hours away from us. After she can leave the hospital on an inpatient basis she becomes an out patient. She needs to stay near the hospital to have her blood checked once a day for several weeks before she can come home. Are there organizations, volunteers or another group of people that can helps us to keep an eye on her? We live in the Northern Virginia area and the Hospital is two hours away at the Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center in Richmond. If you can help me out with information please email me at: alicat0226@hotmail.com

Alison

Last edited by alicat4790 : Thu Oct 2, 2008 at 09:26 PM. Reason: typos
Old Fri Oct 3, 2008, 02:10 PM

I'd be interested in that info as well. I was not told of any group in the area that does that. My husband most likely will be having his BMT at MCV as well. We leave 2 hours away as well and we will have to juggle care givers for him during that time.

Good luck.
Old Fri Oct 3, 2008, 06:42 PM

The hospital/medical center should be able to assist you with this. They usually have social workers on staff. Many have friends and relatives rotate the caregiver position during that time frame. Can you line up a group of people to do this?
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Sat Oct 4, 2008, 03:00 PM

I know our plan is to rotate caregivers during that time since I also have to juggle the care of our children as well. We have not been told that the Vidaza is going to work (only through 2 rounds) and are still waiting for a match since there are no siblings. Even if there was a group that helped to get my husband to his appointments, I would not feel right leaving him with strangers. We will make it happen as that is what we have to do. Best of luck to you.