Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Drugs and Drug Treatments
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drugs and Drug Treatments ATG, Cyclosporine, Revlimid, Vidaza, Dacogen, ...

Old Tue May 31, 2011, 09:30 AM

Question Revlimid WITH Vidaza?

Hi All
Neil, I saw a post by you back in Dec '10 where you mentioned about the combination of Revlimid and Vidaza--just wondering if there has been any further information/studies/trials on any results of combining these 2 drugs. A few random hemalologists I've seen in my travels mentioned that it may be an option, but I don't know where to look for further information. I like to have some info before approaching my Dr.

I am not 5q-, ~ how does that develop? And since Revlimid has been SO successful on so many levels, could it hurt to try it? I just wonder the value/ramifications in combination with Vidaza....
As always, thanks in advance, for your responses!
Cheri Age 54; dx Oct 2009 AML, induction chemo only;dx MDS July 2010,- PRBC transfusion dependent; Results BMB 8/4/11--- 6-8% blasts; Danazol 100 mg 3xday; quit Exjade/ GI distress; platelets holding 40's; Fluctuation in blasts in blood--Neupogen 3-4xweek; off Revlimid again! Procrit weekly
Old Tue May 31, 2011, 09:42 AM

Thumbs up

By the way, my Dr told me the other day how much he appreciates the fact that I am informed and so involved in my care and treatment.
Thanks to Marrowforums, I am able to familiarize myself with the necessary jargon and latest information. I present him with copies of some of the papers that I have found here~fortunately, he is not the type who is threatened by that. We feel like we are a team in this fight!
Let's face it--each doctor has hundreds of patients with all types of scenarios--blood disorders being particularly variable.
I find this site an invaluable resource tool that enables me to feel that I am at least doing something to insure that I am my own best health advocate...I couldn't have done this without all of you! I feel less like a victim of a terrible disease and more of a "participant" in a maze, determined to discover the way out!
(or maybe I've watched way too many episodes of "Survivor"! )
Cheri Age 54; dx Oct 2009 AML, induction chemo only;dx MDS July 2010,- PRBC transfusion dependent; Results BMB 8/4/11--- 6-8% blasts; Danazol 100 mg 3xday; quit Exjade/ GI distress; platelets holding 40's; Fluctuation in blasts in blood--Neupogen 3-4xweek; off Revlimid again! Procrit weekly
Old Tue May 31, 2011, 12:14 PM

Hi Cheri
my spouse was on revlimid for 2 months, and has just now started vidaza, his dr. told him, she might do both drugs...he is not 5q either....i will look at mds beacon, seems to me i saw an article there about combining both drugs...there must be a study, as it is being mentioned.....
Old Tue May 31, 2011, 12:21 PM

hi cheri
found it, mds beacon...author emily plummer dated feb 11 2011
Old Tue May 31, 2011, 12:58 PM

Vidaza and Revlimid

Hi cheri,
Perhaps slip up 2 found the same study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20354132

It is quite small but the response rate is 67 "% in higher-risk MDS patients and that is good. Vidaza alone usually leads to a little more than 50 % responses and Revlimid alone still lower figures.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Tue May 31, 2011, 11:36 PM
Owner

The study Birgitta mentions, of Revlimid and Vidaza in combination, was written up in 2010 so the data is from 2010 and earlier. It was a Phase I trial, meaning that it was intended primarily as a test of safety, not efficacy. There were only 18 patients, but the response rate was good, seeming to indicate that the drugs complemented each other and didn't raise toxicity, and therefore that the combination is promising and worth studying in larger patient populations.
Old Wed Jun 1, 2011, 09:45 AM

Thanks everyone--I will bring that paper to my Dr tomorrow and note your comments as well!
Old Sun Jun 5, 2011, 12:23 PM

Revlimid and Vidaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheri View Post
Hi All
Neil, I saw a post by you back in Dec '10 where you mentioned about the combination of Revlimid and Vidaza--just wondering if there has been any further information/studies/trials on any results of combining these 2 drugs. A few random hemalologists I've seen in my travels mentioned that it may be an option, but I don't know where to look for further information. I like to have some info before approaching my Dr.

I am not 5q-, ~ how does that develop? And since Revlimid has been SO successful on so many levels, could it hurt to try it? I just wonder the value/ramifications in combination with Vidaza....
As always, thanks in advance, for your responses!
Research has shown that Revlimid works well with patients who have 5q.
I also have seen on the net the possibility of Revlimid and Vidaza together.
In my wife's case the platelets were already down to 5 (Majorly Low) so with the Revlimid having a major negative effect on platelets even though she has MDS and 5q the Revlimid was not considered. Even the Vidaza was taken out of the picture after 3 cycles because the bone marrow was not responding.
Old Sun Jun 5, 2011, 01:02 PM

Freedom....we were told that it might take up to 6 cycles before vidaza will work...it sure is a rollar coaster with the counts....