Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 02:39 PM

Smile Just wanted to introduce mysell

Hi everyone, my name is Bill and I'm a new member to this forum. I would like to say that I'm happy to be in a group that can discuss common problems.

I'm in the older group (73) and have just been initiated into the Exjade atmosphere. I'll be able to comment, hopefully constructively, in the near future.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 06:04 PM
Owner

Hello Bill and welcome. Thanks for offering to share your experiences with other patients.

How long ago were you diagnosed with MDS? Since you're starting Exjade, you've presumably been getting transfusions as supportive care. Have your transfusions been frequent? Have you had any other MDS treatments?
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 07:38 AM

Smile Thanks for the message neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Cuadra View Post
Hello Bill and welcome. Thanks for offering to share your experiences with other patients.

How long ago were you diagnosed with MDS? Since you're starting Exjade, you've presumably been getting transfusions as supportive care. Have your transfusions been frequent? Have you had any other MDS treatments?

I guess it was about 3 or 4 years ago I was diagnosed with MDS. The transfusions aren't too frequent (every 5 to 7 weeks), I've been getting them for a little over a year. I've received Arenesp injections before they began the transfusions but it wasn't much help. Lately the doctor has been giving the Arenesp injections in addition to my transfusions and it has been beneficial for the first couple of weeks, however, like everyone else that receives multiple blood transfusions, I've accumulated large amounts of iron . . . thus the Exjade odyssey begins.

Last edited by bubbymcgan : Tue Oct 21, 2008 at 10:18 AM.