Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Sat Nov 29, 2008, 06:44 PM

started Vidaza - stable after first cycle

Hi All,
I started Vidaza on Nov 12 at a reduced dosage due to low platelets and a low bone marrow cellularity of 10-15%.

My platelets were in the low 20's for several weeks until we started low dose Neumega injections. These were given at 10micrograms/kg (1/5 the normal dosage), after 10 days the platelets were in the 40's.
Reference for Nuemega for MDS patients: http://jco.ascopubs.org/cgi/content/abstract/19/21/4165

After a BMB which identified low cellularity at 10-15% and 8% blasts my doctor decided to start Vidaza at a low dose of 50 gm/m2 for 3 days.

Following the Vidaza week of injections I received Procrit, Neupogen and
Neumega to hold he CBC counts. On day 16 following the injections the counts still remain stable with platelets holding in the 40's.

The second cycle is planned with a 5 day cycle, starting Dec 8.

My MDS journey with the 3rd drug seems to be starting ok.
Old Fri Dec 5, 2008, 04:11 PM

started vVdaza - stabel after first cycle

Hi Kirby

I wish you well with the vidaza and hope your success with treatments continues. I use you as a guide and inspiration for David. He stopped the revlimid by mutual agreement with his trial doctors. He had a 5 mth remission and then on the normal dose he seemed to be worse with a drama almost every month. He feels better " in the head" now but is very weak a nd lethargic. I tell him it is probably just the disease or his iron overload ( now 109 Txs). He is being very conscientious with his chelating ( cannot take tablet form) but the ferritin is being fairly stable. His doctors do not seem to have any other explanation other than his liver being under a strain with the mds.

Again be well and happy

Helen
Old Sat Dec 27, 2008, 10:57 AM

Second Vidaza Cycle - counts holding

Hi Helen, thanks for the kind words. I hope David is stable or improving.

My 2nd Vidaza cycle of 5 days at 50 mg/m2 started on 12/08/08, my platelets were in the low 40's at the start of the cycle. The platelet count dropped to 21 on 12/22/08. This date corresponds to the 4th day of the 7 day "nadir" period. The nadir is the point of the lowest blood counts (nadir is opposite zenith-high point). A slow increase in the platelet count started on 12/23/08, reaching 25 on 12/26/08. The preliminary data suggests that my body is responding in the "normal" fashion to the Vidaza. Hopefully the counts will increase during the next 9 days until the next Vidaza cycle is scheduled to start. My Hgb has ranged from 11.3 to 9.6 during this time. The WBC has ranged from 5.2 to 1.7, somewhat unstable but responding well to Neupogen.

My doctor has used lots of Procrit, Neupogen and low dose Neumega to stabilize my blood counts following the Vidaza cycle. So far I've taken no transfusions during my 4.8 years treating MDS.

If the Vidaza can control the MDS the counts should all rise as the cycles continue.