Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > Bone Marrow Failure
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Bone Marrow Failure Causes, treatment approaches, terminology, related diseases

Old Fri Jun 8, 2012, 03:19 PM

Reticulocytes and MCV

Hello forum,
a technical question: if reticulocytes are about 8% larger than normal red cells, but their number and percentage is normal, from where do come the large red cells in high MCV?
Thank you
Old Tue Oct 30, 2012, 09:45 AM

Thank you for asking this question! I'm also interested in the answer. So, just to clarify, when an MCV comes back, it is a value that includes both RBC *and* reticulocytes? And your question is whether an elevated MCV is reflecting an increase due to reticulocytes? The reason I ask is that I have also consistently had elevated MCV (and MCH), but with low RBC counts. I thought that maybe the MCV and MCH meant the fewer RBC that I do have are like *super*RBC to compensate, carrying around extra oxygen to keep me going Maybe I have it all wrong! I just had my very first reticulocyte count done (which is dumb that it took this long imho-and I had to ask for it!- but whatever), and it was LOW. So in my case, not only is my RBC low but my retic value is .4......? (I also have consistently low WBC and sporadically low platelets; my docs are currently thinking it's symptomatic of "chronic disease" and not a bone marrow dysfunction, but they're not sure so I'm researching on my own. Next step they suggest is plaquenil to see if it helps and my blood counts go up. I feel like a guinea pig... I haven't seen a hematologist)
Old Wed Oct 31, 2012, 12:08 AM

Sorry can't address the specific question here, but Friedbrain, I believe a consult with a hematologist would be helpful since all your bloodlines seem to run low. Good luck in finding an answer.
Catherine, wife of Bruce age 75; diagnosed 6/10/11 with macrocytic anemia, neutropenia and mild thrombocytopenia; BMB suggesting emerging MDS. Copper deficient. Currently receiving procrit and neuopogen injections weekly, B12 dermal cream and injections, Transfusions ~ 5 weeks.