Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 12:06 PM

Headed to transplant

Hello Friends,

After minimal success with hATG, I check in the hospital tomorrow to start my transplant journey. I will be posting along the way here: https://www.facebook.com/MyNewBirthday

Hope you'll follow along! I've also created a promo video to help spread the word: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7Akn...1&feature=plcp

Thanks for your support!

Ken
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 02:48 PM

Hi

Wishing you all the very best with your upcoming transplant
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 06:17 PM

Best of luck Ken.
Suggestions for the transplant:
Take it one day at a time
Ask if sucking on ice chips while you're getting the conditioning meds works to help prevent mouth sores (worked with mine but every med is different).
Use the anti nause meds. There are 3 different ones I was offered for my auto-transplant last year. One worked best for me but the others not so much. Find the one you like best. I didn't have much nausea, mostly stomach pain and it still worked well. Starting these before you feel the nausea works best I'm told.
Walk and keep yourself mobile during healing, when able, to help keep your strength up.
Rinse A LOT with saline ( ask the hospital for the large bottles of saline to use while you're inpatient). I did this probably 6-10 x a day.
If you haven't yet talked to a nutritionist, ask to. They usually have great suggestions on how to get the most from what you eat which could help with healing.

Sent from my mobile phone
Old Fri Mar 16, 2012, 06:34 PM

All the best to you Ken!
God Bless,
Sally