Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Tue Aug 21, 2012, 05:04 PM

Dad's birthday

today is Dad's birthday and to be perfectly honest I think it is one of the hardest days for me since he passed last year. I have cried and just not been myself all night last night and today. I know I am just missing him so much more today than ever before. I saw a picture posted on facebook today that had a caption that is so true it amazed me.

When we were young we wanted our parents to get off our backs.
Years later we realize they are the only ones to "have" our backs.

My love and prayers go out to everyone here and those affected by MDS!
Old Tue Aug 21, 2012, 05:42 PM

I pray to the Almighty that may you get the courage and strength to overcome this grief and sadness that you feel today.
take care,
-RP
Old Tue Aug 21, 2012, 06:44 PM

I know how difficult it must be for you bebop, especially the first birthday without your dad.

Your memories are your keepsake, from which you will never part.
God has your dad in his keeping, you will always have him in your heart.

Our thoughts are with you!

Thank you so much for your love and prayers to all those affected with MDS.

((HUGS))

Patti
Dean,age 76, dx MDS, RAEB-2, 17% blasts, June 2012 - May 2013 - Dacogen with Neupogen and transfusions as needed. End of May 2013 Dacogen stopped working. BMB July 2013 shows RAEB-2 and severe Myelofibrosis. Passed away September 30, 2013
Old Tue Aug 21, 2012, 07:17 PM
Owner

I think holidays and the other significant occasions are the hardest for everyone who has lost a loved one. I'm sorry you have to go through a sad day like this, bebop, or that you have to be without your Dad at all.

The picture caption you quoted is wonderful.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2012, 07:57 PM

Bepop,

You've been with so many of us through our ups and downs. Hope the memories of your Dad will be a comfort. As someone posted to me yesterday, "It's okay to cry." Hopefully the sun will come out tomorrow and it will be a better day.
My husband will be 75 on Thursday. He told me the other night that he'd like to see 75 -- and then he said -- but don't keep me on life support!
We actually have been able to laugh about that comment -- through the tears of course.
In my faith, I have to believe that they are or will be in a better place with no suffering. God bless you.
Linda, Al's wife, 75; dx MDS 5/2010; Vidaza 6/2010; ARRY614 & Sapacitabine clinical trials at Emory, no results, stopped 12/2011. Had BMB at NIH on 6/5/12, blasts 10-15% so he's not eligible for trial there. :eek Promacta trial, Tampa, blasts 25-30% 8/17/12 AML, trying Dacogen now and praying.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2012, 11:42 PM

Bebop;
Honey, I am so sorry for your pain - but like all those before me have said - no one can take away your memories - and I am sure you have some beautiful ones.
If a genie granted me 2 wishes - the first would be for Earl to get well, and the second would be to have my father back - but in a healthy state - not as we left this world 40 years ago full of cancer.
You are strong - but know that we are all here for you.
Beth
Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 01:45 AM

Thinking of you. Hugs.
Catherine, wife of Bruce age 75; diagnosed 6/10/11 with macrocytic anemia, neutropenia and mild thrombocytopenia; BMB suggesting emerging MDS. Copper deficient. Currently receiving procrit and neuopogen injections weekly, B12 dermal cream and injections, Transfusions ~ 5 weeks.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 09:17 AM

Dear Bebop,
I too am so sorry you lost your Dad and for your pain.
You have continued to be a great support to those who need it on the forums in spite of how you feel - as others have as well.
I read recently that when you extend your hand to those in need you're really extending the Hand of God. I hope in doing that it brings you a measure of comfort. I know it brings comfort to others.
Take good care and God Bless,
Sally

Last edited by Sally C : Thu Aug 23, 2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 11:10 AM

Sally - that was a beautiful post you sent Bepop. It made me cry and I REALLY don't need another reason to cry. I hope it brings Bepop some peace and comfort too. You have helped me so much to keep the faith and I've so enjoyed "meeting" you on the forum and talking with you on the phone.
Hope Don is behaving himself.
God bless,
Linda, Al's wife, 75; dx MDS 5/2010; Vidaza 6/2010; ARRY614 & Sapacitabine clinical trials at Emory, no results, stopped 12/2011. Had BMB at NIH on 6/5/12, blasts 10-15% so he's not eligible for trial there. :eek Promacta trial, Tampa, blasts 25-30% 8/17/12 AML, trying Dacogen now and praying.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2012, 12:47 PM

wow! what a bunch of great people I choose to hang out with here! this is actually the second birthday without him but last year was so fresh as it was just a couple of months after his passing I couldn't tell heads or tails about life. so many of your comments have touched me but the one about when you reach out your hand it is really God reaching out His! Amen! I truely feel His presence with me every day and if not for Him I would not be here now. I will continue to keep you all affected in my prayers.