Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Sat Jun 30, 2018, 12:33 AM

Genealogy DNA testing and stem cell transplants

I've just leaned about recipients' dna changing to donor's dna after stem cell transplants. So, if you're interested in dna testing for genealogical reasons, get tested before you have a transplant.

https://www.watersheddna.com/blog-an...splantgedmatch

But this also brings up a questions and ideas. I've read about mutations showing up, or disappearing, after transplant. This could be the reason, of course. And also, in genealogy, they get matches by comparing your dna results to someone else's, including mutations. I wonder if this has anything to do with finding 'matches' for transplants.

It's late and this is too complicated of a topic for me right now, but just wanted to throw this out there to see if anyone else is interested.

My own journey to transplant is on hold while time tics by waiting for medicare coverage. Does make me rethink my non-belief in socialized medicine a bit.
Joanne, 65F, 8/17 dx Primary MDS-EB1, Pancytopenia; 6/19 MPN w/CMML characteristics, dr calling it AML even w/blasts <20%; 7/19 Induction w/Vyxeos resulting in complete remission with incomplete blood count recovery.
Old Mon Jul 2, 2018, 01:09 AM

Hi,
Interesting! Didnt even think about genealogy testing after a stem cell transplant. As for mutations disappearing.. I had runx1 mutation prior to transplant, and I dont have it now.
Really sucks that you have to wait for Medicare coverage. Good luck and thanks for sharing. Lisa
Now 30yr old. Diagnosed AML dec 2015 (Most likely MDS prior). Trisomy 6. Runx1 mutation also. Had induction and consolidation chemo. Marrow failure ++ so SCT on 21st of March with MUD. Married with a 1yr old!
Old Fri Jul 6, 2018, 06:51 PM

I know that the tests that use saliva will not show accurate results bcse of the white blood cells in your saliva. I never did a genealogy test b4 my transplant, but my brother may do one sometime. I would be more curious abt that of my donor, who I have never communicated with. I am not trained in medicine but it would make sense that mutations would go away after a transplant. I do not envy those w/ medicare issues who need treatment. My current insurance carrier as well as the HMO I had when I had my transplant are pretty easy to work with.

Mario