Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > General Health Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Health Issues Diet and appetite, sleep and fatigue, pain management, exercise, etc.

Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 03:35 PM

Darvocet

The FDA has recommended that all darvocet propoxyphene products be removed from the U.S. market. I have successfully used it for pain since 1996.
What are the rest of you using for pain. I specifically get deep bone pain. Any suggestions?
Old Sat Nov 20, 2010, 03:41 PM

lindajo

Hi - I get deep bone pain also and use Loratab for it. Does seem to work. Are you currently on treatment?
Now have RAEB-2, Firbrosis 3+, blasts 18% peripheral, 10 - 14% blasts marrow, chromosomes now T 1:21, trisonomy 16 and 1.- Match found ---10/10 -couldn't believe when I heard - Tentative day is 1/09th!!!! Admit date changed to 11/12. WOW -
Old Sun Nov 21, 2010, 08:20 PM

I am not currently doing treatment with any drugs. It has been a year and a half since my last transfusion. I tried Procrit and it didn't help. I am on supportive therapy only. Transfusions and antibiotics as needed. I take one Darvocet morning and evening. I hope I find something I can tolerate as well.
Old Mon Nov 22, 2010, 06:26 AM

lindajo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindajo View Post
I am not currently doing treatment with any drugs. It has been a year and a half since my last transfusion. I tried Procrit and it didn't help. I am on supportive therapy only. Transfusions and antibiotics as needed. I take one Darvocet morning and evening. I hope I find something I can tolerate as well.
Hi - I would ask your doctor for the Loratab. I take one in the morning and it gets me thru the day. Take care.
Now have RAEB-2, Firbrosis 3+, blasts 18% peripheral, 10 - 14% blasts marrow, chromosomes now T 1:21, trisonomy 16 and 1.- Match found ---10/10 -couldn't believe when I heard - Tentative day is 1/09th!!!! Admit date changed to 11/12. WOW -
Old Mon Nov 22, 2010, 06:09 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. She prescribed tramadol 50 mg tablet. I will try it and see what happens.
Old Mon Nov 22, 2010, 06:49 PM

Tramadol/Ultram

It is my understanding that these drugs are for long term use...does anyone know of anything, other than aspirin, or ibuprofen, that would work for sporadic muscle aches/pains? Tylenol and Vicoden has been of no use.
I am on Vidaza treatment, and Bactrim but no other meds...

My upper arms and shoulders have been very painful for the last week...I seem to feel like it's a flare up of some sort...today was a little better. I have never suffered from any type of arthritis or chronic pain, and it's not like a sprain or strain...both arms are affected. Thanks!
Cheri Age 54; dx Oct 2009 AML, induction chemo only;dx MDS July 2010,- PRBC transfusion dependent; Results BMB 8/4/11--- 6-8% blasts; Danazol 100 mg 3xday; quit Exjade/ GI distress; platelets holding 40's; Fluctuation in blasts in blood--Neupogen 3-4xweek; off Revlimid again! Procrit weekly
Old Tue Nov 23, 2010, 06:35 AM

Red face Hi Cheri!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheri View Post
It is my understanding that these drugs are for long term use...does anyone know of anything, other than aspirin, or ibuprofen, that would work for sporadic muscle aches/pains? Tylenol and Vicoden has been of no use.
I am on Vidaza treatment, and Bactrim but no other meds...

My upper arms and shoulders have been very painful for the last week...I seem to feel like it's a flare up of some sort...today was a little better. I have never suffered from any type of arthritis or chronic pain, and it's not like a sprain or strain...both arms are affected. Thanks!
The only thing working for me is 1/2 loratab. I have tried everything. Hope someone lets us know something. I have a new symptom too - I woke up during the night two days now with both wrists hurting - bad. Hope everyone has a great holiday!!!
Old Tue Nov 23, 2010, 07:42 AM

Hi Susan

Hmmmm.....your wrists make me wonder if there is some connection with the joint pain & Vidaza.....we will have to keep track of these aches and pains!
Rheumatiz? (I sound like an old lady!) I don't even know what that is!
I am trying to avoid taking pain meds on a daily basis....be well all, and enjoy the holiday!
Cheri Age 54; dx Oct 2009 AML, induction chemo only;dx MDS July 2010,- PRBC transfusion dependent; Results BMB 8/4/11--- 6-8% blasts; Danazol 100 mg 3xday; quit Exjade/ GI distress; platelets holding 40's; Fluctuation in blasts in blood--Neupogen 3-4xweek; off Revlimid again! Procrit weekly
Old Tue Nov 23, 2010, 04:45 PM

Just a thought.

I also get joint and muscle pain and was on Vidaza for 5 cycles.

Recent blood tests showed that I had a severe Vitamin D deficiency and was told that I'm at very great risk of having a pathological fracture. As I have a well rounded diet and live in Queensland (State motto used to be "The Sunny State") I can't think of any reason why I should be D deficient. My only thought was that the Vidaza might prevent absorption.

As I said before, it's just a thought.

Chirley
Xq19.36 mutation
Xq21.40. mutation
1p36. Mutation
15q11.2 deletion
Old Tue Nov 23, 2010, 05:44 PM

Vitamin D

I was discovered, by my family doctor, to have a severe vitamin d deficiency before I started Vidaza and was given a prescription for a weekly therapeutic dose. When I mentioned it to my oncologist, she said that most Americans are vitamin d deficient but just don't realize because they never get it tested. She didn't seem too concerned. Not long after that, my 18-year-old niece was also diagnosed as being severely vitamin d deficient, about half the suggested minimum level.
Karen, age 62, dx MDS RAEB-2 1/8/10: pancytopenia WBC 2.7k/Hgb 7.4/Hct 22.1/Plt 19k; complex cytogenetics -3,del(5)(q14q33),-6,+8,+mar,17% blasts. MUD BMT Johns Hopkins 11/30/10. Dx tongue cancer 8/31/12. ok now. blog mausmarrow.com
Old Wed Nov 24, 2010, 11:32 PM

Tylenol

You have to be careful, because, Tylenol can mask fever symptoms and guess what??? Darvocet has Tylenol in it. So, that should not be a choice for an MDS patient... seems something else can be found. My husband was prescribed Oxycodone 5mg for mild pain. When he had really bad pain, they went to a much stronger pain killer called Dialadid, but, that was when his paid very so very intolerable and he was transitioning from MDS to AML.

I've heard of Tramadol. It's non-narcotic, but, is a pain blocker. Good luck!
Cindy
Cindy, wife of Ron 66 dx w/MDS(RARS)Feb'09,Vidaza 13mons. BMB 2/10 -5q/increased blasts. Watch/wait May-Jul10. Revlimid Jul-Aug10:A-Fib. BMB Aug18, 12%blasts. MDS to AML. Induction completed 9/21/10. BMB Oct10:CR. Consolidaton:10/25/10. Dacogen Dec27-29. SCT on Hold. Fevers/Nt sweats Jan11.