Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Questions and Answers
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Questions and Answers Not sure where to post a question? Post it here.

Old Tue Feb 2, 2016, 11:56 PM

High B12

Anyone on this forum have high b12? If so, as your doctor given you any theories as to why that might be?
Old Wed Feb 3, 2016, 08:49 AM

Here are my thoughts on high B12.

1) There are diseases associated with high B12. They are liver disease and bone marrow diseases. Have they ruled these out? (Not all bone marrow disorders cause high B12.)

2) False high B12 serum levels can be a result of b12 supplementation. If you are taking a multi-vitamin or B12, the result will be higher than if you weren't supplementing. It is best to stop all supplements 4 to 5 days prior to checking nutritional status to get a more accurate reading.

3) MTHFR genetic mutation can occur where your body cannot convert b12 into a usable form. If your body cannot utilize it, you can see elevated serum levels. And if you are taking B12 in a supplement, it is usually the one that requires your body to convert it. And if you can't, well then you'll see elevated levels.
You can ask your doctor to check for this mutation. They should also look at your folate levels, MMA and homocysteine. Many times folate is high too. I would look at the symptoms you are experiencing. Basically, you would be having symptoms as if you had a b12/folate deficiency. If you doctor is not familiar with MTHFR mutations, you can get that tested on your own. Of course insurance doesn't cover it but it may be worth finding out.
http://mthfr.net/read-this-first/2012/01/25/
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Wed Feb 3, 2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meahgee View Post
Anyone on this forum have high b12? If so, as your doctor given you any theories as to why that might be?
Hi Meahgee,

My B12 is very high without vitamins/supplements. I had the intrinsic factor, folate, and MMA tests done, to help rule out a B12 deficiency. All were normal.

My doctors said they ignore a high reading, which seems counter to what I have read on the web.
Old Fri Feb 19, 2016, 06:10 AM

Hi

High vitamin B12 is a symptom of an underlying illness that causes the amount in your blood to increase. For example, a damaged liver may release the vitamin out of storage and into the blood. In early stages, illnesses associated with high vitamin B12 often have generic symptoms, such as fatigue and loss of appetite. Considering they’re potentially life-threatening conditions, early diagnosis is vital, so consult your physician when you don’t feel up to par.