Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > News and Events
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News and Events News related to bone marrow failure diseases

Old Fri Aug 7, 2009, 12:56 AM
Marrowforums.org

Free One-Day MDS Conference in Los Angeles, September 2009

The UCLA Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center (JCCC), in collaboration with the Aplastic Anemia & MDS International Foundation (AA&MDSIF), will hold a free one-day conference for MDS patients and their family members on Saturday, September 26, 2009 from 9:00 AM to 3:45 PM.

Dr. Ron Paquette will lead a team of experts in the field who will discuss the diagnosis and treatment of MDS. Information on how to optimize your mental health during all phases of the disease will also be covered.

Featured speakers, schedule for the day, directions, and parking instructions can be viewed on the AA&MDSIF Los Angeles 2009 page.

When:
Saturday, September 26, 2009 from 9:00 AM to 3:45 PM. Registration will begin at 8:00 AM.
Where:
UCLA (campus map)
Covel Commons at Sunset Village
Grand Horizon Room (3rd floor)
210 De Neve Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90095
Registration is free and includes breakfast and lunch, but you must sign up online or by calling the Foundation at (800) 747-2820 or (301) 279-7202, option "3".

Note that a 90-minute session for AA patients follows the MDS conference.
Old Thu Aug 27, 2009, 12:10 AM

L.A. Conference

My daughter and I have registered for the Conference, reserved Hotel space and am flying down out of San Francisco on Friday.

Anyone else going?

Vernette
Old Thu Aug 27, 2009, 09:38 AM
Owner

My wife Ruth and I will be there, and forum member "mawad" (Mona) said she would be there too.

We'll look for you and your daughter, Vernette.
Old Fri Aug 28, 2009, 12:02 AM

Yes, I will be there and it will be my pleasure to meet all of you at the conference.

See you then,

Mona
Old Mon Aug 31, 2009, 08:23 AM

MDS conf OK for AA patients/family?

Hi,
My brother and I want to attend this (if able--he just finished his 5th and last round of ATG and started Cyclosporine yesterday). I don't know the differences between AA and MDS but they seem similar.

Wondering if this conf should be informative for AA patients/family as well?
Wondering if any LA based people are planning to attend, especially patients of Dr. Paquette or those who have had treatment at UCLA?
Old Mon Aug 31, 2009, 08:25 PM
Owner

kcbabe,

The MDS Conference is focused on MDS patients, not aplastic anemia patients, so it's not very suitable for you or your brother, but Dr. Paquette will be speaking about AA later on the same day, so that's the session to attend. See Free Session for AA Patients in Los Angeles, September 2009 for details.

You can also get information on aplastic anemia directly. Contact the Aplastic Anemia & MDS International Foundation to get a free AA information packet. Also, go to their Online Leaning Center to watch the presentations on AA.
Old Tue Sep 1, 2009, 01:04 AM

Thank you for the information and link to online signup for the AA portion. I've signed up my family to attend. Hope to meet some others from this forum there.

I've already requested info from AAMDS.

I thank you for starting this forum as I've learned so much from reading the threads. Experience shared by others is priceless. Since my brother's very recent diagnosis my head is swimming from trying to quickly learn and accept this disease while handling the hospital, dr's, and helping my brother thru the side effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Cuadra View Post
kcbabe,

The MDS Conference is focused on MDS patients, not aplastic anemia patients, so it's not very suitable for you or your brother, but Dr. Paquette will be speaking about AA later on the same day, so that's the session to attend. See Free Session for AA Patients in Los Angeles, September 2009 for details.

You can also get information on aplastic anemia directly. Contact the Aplastic Anemia & MDS International Foundation to get a free AA information packet. Also, go to their Online Leaning Center to watch the presentations on AA.
Old Fri Sep 25, 2009, 12:25 PM
Marrowforums.org

Reminder: The one-day MDS conference starts tomorrow at 9am.
Old Tue Sep 29, 2009, 05:52 PM

MDS Conference in L.A.

It was a great Conference! Neil and Ruth, so glad I had a chance to meet you two and hear Ruth talk about her transplant. It was my first Conference, and I hope not my last. My daughter and I both enjoyed it. Thank you for your part in the Conference.
Old Sun Oct 4, 2009, 12:34 AM
Marrowforums.org

Conference photos available

You can view photos from the one-day MDS Conference in our gallery.