Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Pediatrics
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pediatrics Treatment for juvenile patients

Old Fri Apr 21, 2017, 09:22 AM

Variation in blood draw time of day

So grateful for this forum!

I've noticed a trend that my 3.5 yo daughter's hemoglobin is typically around 9 in the morning but raises to about 10 in the afternoon. Do you think this has any significance at all, especially as I read it is more typical that hemoglobin lowers throughout the day with hydration rather than increases? When would be a more accurate time of the day to test?

Thanks!
Old Sat Apr 22, 2017, 09:38 PM

My results tend to be a little higher in the afternoon too. If you are able, try to have the test done at around the same time each time. Then you can judge trends better.
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.
Old Sun Apr 23, 2017, 02:21 PM

Thanks! I think we will stick with morning blood draws if we can since those seem to usually work best with our schedule.

Her EPO was recently 9 and I read later that is best to test in the morning as well though I checked with her doctor first. We were expecting a higher number given her lowered hematocrit of 29.

I appreciate the response as we want to get the most accurate info as we're anxious for answers!
Old Mon Apr 24, 2017, 12:16 AM

Good idea. That should help you get an accurate picture of how she is tracking. My heart goes out to you with a 3.5 year old.
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.
Old Mon Apr 24, 2017, 09:08 AM

Thanks so much! Best wishes and love your way, Cheryl!