Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 12:39 PM

normal WBC after 1 cycle Vidaza

My 70 yr old mom was diagnosed in April with AML and then a second bone marrow test said her blasts were low enough that it is MDS. We immediately got her on a vegetarian diet and started adding Flaxseed Oil and Cottage Cheese to her diet twice a day (Budwig Diet). Her WBC went up - 2.0 TO 2.5 to 3.3 just before starting VIDAZA. Of course the WBC went down after the initial 7 day treatment to 2.2 and then climbed to 2.5 to 2.8 and lastly 4.5 which is Normal! Her platelets also shot up to 119 after being 45.

Anyone else have great results on VIDAZA? Everything I have heard and read says that it should take at least 3 cycles to see any improvement and 6 months is the norm. Our thoughts are that the diet is doing most of the work rather than the VIDAZA due to the quick response. Any thoughts?
Old Fri Jun 12, 2009, 02:32 PM

Diet?

Hi Heidi,
A wonderful result after diet changes and Vidaza ! I don't think you will ever know if it is the diet or Vidaza because you will probably continue both treatments with such positive results. Vidaza can improve the counts after one cycle but it often takes four cycles or more.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
70 yo, dx MDS Interm-1 May 2006, transfusion dependent, Desferal and Ferriprox for iron overload, Neupogen for low white blood cells, asymptomatic
Old Sun Jun 14, 2009, 09:29 PM

Hello Heidi,

I'm glad to hear your Mom is responding positively so early in the Vidaza treatment! My husband started Vidaza by injection 4/01/09 and started improving after 1 cycle of Vidaza. You can follow his weekly lab results I post under clinical trial e1905. He is in a clincal study for the main purpose of seeing how adding the drug MS-275 to low dose of Vidaza helps. My husband, Ron, by computerized randome selection was in the trial group that did not received the added MS-275, but, was on the low dosage regime. He's had incrediable results...

I praise God for answered prayers on his positive response.... I thank God daily for wonderful medicine, wonderful doctors & being at the right place at the right time in our lives.... So much to be thankful for right now... but, still handling one day at a time...

I pray your Mom continues to show positive progress/response....

God Bless, Cindy