Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Wed Oct 10, 2007, 06:52 AM

Question

I am new to this site and found it very informative and supportive. My dad was diagnosed with MDS with 5Q about a year ago. Any difference in treatment? His treatment has been all over...Revild, Dacogen (only one treatment) and now a new biopsy to determine...what? Thanks for all your help. vickivh
Old Wed Oct 10, 2007, 09:58 PM

Let's start with what do you know so far? What was his blast count at the first BMB? Are only his red cells affected? How are his platelets and whites? What does his hgb run? Has he needed transfusions? Have they tried Aranesp or Procrit? How long was he on the Revlimid? How old is your dad? Is this primary MDS?

5q is generally more indolent than other types of MDS as long as the blast count stays down, although it is often transfusion dependent.

So far I have only been on Aranesp. It has been almost a year since my dx.

Sorry so many questions, but maybe it will help folks answer your questions.

Zoe
Old Thu Oct 11, 2007, 07:31 AM

Unhappy A few answers

zoe: Thanks for the reply. I'll try to answer the questions, but its very difficult to get answers from my parents. My dad is 73 years old and initially, only his red blood count was low. He has been taking Procrit since he was diagnosed. I dont think Aranesp. I dont know his BMB(?) blast count at his first bone marrow biopsy when he was initially diagnosed, but will find out the blasts of his 2nd (monday) on Friday. The doctor wants to meet with him, which is never good. He tried Revlimid for about 6months and no improvement, in fact he has had transfusions (with placlets) every week for the past couple of months. Last week he had to have 2 on thursday and 2 on Friday. Today, he's having blood and placlets (red blood count is 7.7). It seems he has one good day (right after blood transfusion) and then he goes down hill. Its very confusing and I afraid it has developed into AML. I need to know what to ask and have no clue. thanks for all your help. Vicki