Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Mon Aug 20, 2012, 10:46 AM

Bloating - what causes?

Hi everyone. My 89 year old mother (diagnosed with MDS about 15 months ago) has been doing fairly well with a regimem of Aranesp and occasional transfusions. She is cytopenic in all three areas - platelets, red blood cells and white blood cells. We've had occasional hospitalizations for related things (pneumonia, diarrhea, etc.), but she's a tough lady and has always pulled through, bless her heart.

My question - I visit her every day (she lives about 6 blocks from me) and yesterday when I was over there I thought that her abdomen looked extremely bloated and large. I asked her if she felt okay and she said yes (of course, she told the doctor she felt fine when we took her to the ER for pneumonia also!). Her belly yesterday looked like she had a basketball stuck under her shirt! Her ankles were not swollen (I checked).

She's been on Aranesp for a year now with no side effects. What else could be causing the bloating? I know that extreme bloating in the elderly is not a good sign, because that was the only symptom my dad had with colon cancer that had metastasized to the point of no return.

Anyone have any ideas? Other illnesses she has: chronic kidney disease, controlled high blood pressure, CHF, interstitial lung disease -- but all are fairly well managed (like I said, she is a tough lady and will probably outlive us all!).

I have "cried wolf" so many times to the hematologist that I am afraid to call them if it turns out to be nothing.
Old Mon Aug 20, 2012, 11:25 AM

CHF - and your Mother's other co-morbidities

Wilmasdaughter;

The swelling in your mother's abdomen is commonly referred to as "Ascites". Since you say she is also suffering from kidney failure, as well as CHF, her body may be retaining fluid, and she may have to have it drained. But - is her abdomen soft or hard? When, and I say when you call the Dr. he will need to know, since treatment varies from one to the other.
But, it is imperative that you have this addressed as soon as possible since the pressure from what may be ascites is also causing pressure on all of her internal organs. Good luck to you.

Beth
Old Mon Aug 20, 2012, 01:17 PM

Ascites

Thanks Beth. I will check tonight when I get home from work to see if her belly is hard or soft.