Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Wed Aug 21, 2013, 07:45 PM

Question Antidepressants & Fatigue

Hi all!

Been having some fatigue issues & even more so while on a higher dose of my antidepressants. They help me a lot, give me more energy, but it tires me out because they cause me to not sleep well. And I find it hard to rest.

Just had a blood test because I've been feeling exhausted & run down & everyone says I look pale. Have cold sores often too.

Just not sure if it's a psychiatrist issue, or hematology, or just need a chat to my GP. Or maybe everyone!

What do u think? Thanks

Jules
Julie (38yrs); dx AA 1996 & treated w/ATG, cyclosporine & G-CSF; 2010 dx int-1 secondary MDS, low platelets, on prevention antibiotics, fevers of unknown origin, MUD found for BMT when the time is right, which is now! MDS transformed to AML after many infections.
Old Wed Aug 21, 2013, 07:56 PM

Hi Jules, long time no hear!

I don't know what's happening to you BUT, if I lived "down there" in winter I'd be pale and depressed too. Cold, rainy and dark is not my cup of tea. Maybe it's Seasonal Affective Disorder. Have you tried light therapy?

You remember what those crisp, clear, blue, warm winter/spring days are like in Brisbane? That's what we are having right now.

Hope you feel better soon.

Chirley
Old Wed Aug 21, 2013, 08:01 PM

Smile

Hi Chirley! Ha ha ha....you made me laugh. Good one!

I'm not actually feeling depressed right now. The drugs are helping a lot. But just causing these other issues for now.

I'm actually heading back to Brissy next year. We should catch up!

Thanks so much. Nice to hear from you too xo
Julie (38yrs); dx AA 1996 & treated w/ATG, cyclosporine & G-CSF; 2010 dx int-1 secondary MDS, low platelets, on prevention antibiotics, fevers of unknown origin, MUD found for BMT when the time is right, which is now! MDS transformed to AML after many infections.
Old Wed Aug 21, 2013, 08:07 PM

Smile

Jules

I asked my pharmacist today about my tremors. She said to talk to my Dr. I am going to talk to my Hematologist because I have an appointment on Monday, but I am also going to call my Psychiatrist. You should also talk to your doctor about the sleeping. That is one of the first questions my psychiatrist as me when I go. Good luck with everything!
Old Wed Aug 21, 2013, 11:44 PM

I asked my GP if I could be referred to a psychiatrist for my anxiety issues and depression. He refused and said he could refer me to a psychologist if I wanted. I had already been to a psychologist years ago when I was stressed from work and it was useless. All she got me to do was buy and read books on Bhuddist philosophy. It was interesting but didn't help at all.

Is seeing a psychiatrist effective? Worth the bother? It sounds as if anti depressants do work but are they worth the side effects?

I'm doing ok at the moment but when I'm down it feels like I'm in a hole that's hard to climb out of.

Chirley
Old Thu Aug 22, 2013, 12:20 AM

Hi again, thanks ssdavi. I have to wait to see the psychiatrist a few more weeks.

Sorry to hear u struggle with depression & anxiety too Chirley. I've struggled for years & always on & off meds. I was hoping to stay on them for longer this time but not sure I cam keep going like this. Unless they can prescribe something else aswell that can settle me.

I get suicidal regularly when I'm not on anything. So I just need to keep trying to find that balance. I'm doing well at the moment apart from fatigue & lack of good sleep. Hope in time that it will settle.

I'm seeing a psychologist too, only sometimes. I've learnt a few strategies that help. Sometimes u need to search around for a psych you click with.

I'm hanging in there. Hope u are too my dears! xo