Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Questions and Answers
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Questions and Answers Not sure where to post a question? Post it here.

Old Sat Sep 24, 2011, 04:10 PM

Exclamation was wondering if u could tell me what these mean

this is lab work.....story follows....any ideas greatly welcome...thank you

wbc H 13.2 ( 4.5-11.0 )
rbc 4.12 ( 4.0-5.2 )
abs neutrophils, auto H 9.5 ( 1.8- 8.0 )
abs monocyte , auto o.4 ( o.2--1.1
abs eosinophils, auto o.2 ( o.o-o.6
abs basophils, auto o.o ( o.o-0.2 )

neutrophils 72
monocyte 3
eosinophils 1
basophils 0

potassium L 3.5 (3.6-5.2)
co2 25 (24-32 )
blood urea nitrogen L 6 (7-25 )

platelete count went from 301 to 263 in 1 day

woke up 1 morning with a knot in my neck and a little swelling...the er thought " stone " in my salaviory gland...sucked on lemon...had ct and ultra sound...ct showed nothing....ultra sound showed a cystic lesion measuring
1.4 x 0.8 x0.7...i saw sent home.....the next morning i woke up with the knote bigger and the whole side of my face swollen...went to different hospital, who did another ultra sound, blood work..etc....this ultra sound said..1.2 x 1.1 x 1 and a possible nodule...they put me on antibiotics and steriods and pain meds....and r sending me to another doctor, ...the 2nd hospital doc said the ultra sound showed what looked loke to be cancer, and the doctor they r sending me to , will do a biopsy....if it is cancer, what do u think is the possible type and treatments?....plz help
Old Sat Sep 24, 2011, 04:14 PM

did not know where exactly to ask and write my question...sorry if it is in the wrong place
Old Sat Sep 24, 2011, 11:01 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo of 2 View Post
did not know where exactly to ask and write my question...sorry if it is in the wrong place
The Questions and Answers forum is a good place for your question, so we moved it here. This is where other forum users are most likely to see it and try to answer your questions.
Old Mon Sep 26, 2011, 01:42 AM

ty
Old Fri Sep 30, 2011, 01:55 AM
Administrator

Hi, Chriss.

A high white count (wbc) and elevated neutrophil count, as indicated in the blood counts you've shared with us, seem consistent with an infection, but not necessarily bone marrow failure. Your red cell count is low but not abnormally so. Typically, the diseases that we deal with here at Marrowforums are accompanied by low counts across white cells, red cells, and platelets and, in the case of MDS, changes in the bone marrow itself that can only be detected through a bone marrow biopsy. Even a drop in platelets from 301 to 263 would not put you in the category of bone marrow failure (this change could be the result of something simple such as your level of hydration at the time of the test or lab error). Did the doctors indicate any reason why they might think you have bone marrow failure? If the nodule in your neck does not resolve after a course of antibiotics, a biopsy certainly seems in order. That should tell you more about where to focus your research.

Regards,
Ruth
Old Sat Oct 1, 2011, 04:00 PM

A friend of mine had similar symptoms and was eventually diagnosed with lymphoma. Of course your case may well be something completely different and non-malignant but it is worth pursuing until you know for certain. Diagnosis can be difficult.
Karen, age 62, dx MDS RAEB-2 1/8/10: pancytopenia WBC 2.7k/Hgb 7.4/Hct 22.1/Plt 19k; complex cytogenetics -3,del(5)(q14q33),-6,+8,+mar,17% blasts. MUD BMT Johns Hopkins 11/30/10. Dx tongue cancer 8/31/12. ok now. blog mausmarrow.com
Old Fri Oct 7, 2011, 08:57 AM

thank you all for answering...i have done the antibiotics finished a week ago..knot still there, will return on the 18 to have a ct with contrast done...possible non-hogkins or hogkins...no, no biopsy yet..they were suppose to, howver put it off till antibiotics were done...so its a wait and see game i guess...
Old Fri Oct 7, 2011, 03:45 PM

I am in NO means a doctor! LOL! But, your counts indicate to me that your body is fighting something, whether it be something as simple as an infection of some sort or as serious as cancer. I say this because of your high WBC count. It would be normal for you to see a drop in your platelets and RBC as a result of an infection as well. Their levels, however, are still in the normal range and not concerning. Because the WBC's are not incredibly high, I would be leaning moreso towards infection, but definitely keep an eye on the knot you have found and return to the dr. if it is still there after you finish your round of antibiotics. I hope that helps.

36 yr. old, dx SAA in Jan 1996, treated with ATG in Mar. 1996, off cyclosporine Sept. 1996, last blood transfusion in Aug. 1997, slow decline in counts again November 2010, AA and current count decline thought to be caused by lupus, currently taking 400mg Plaquinil
Old Fri Oct 7, 2011, 03:49 PM

Oops! Just saw that you already finished your antibiotics. Yes, you should definitely return to your dr. and get the testing done to find out what your knot is. I pray that it ends up being something simple with a simple fix. Good luck!

36 yr. old, dx SAA in Jan 1996, treated with ATG in Mar. 1996, off cyclosporine Sept. 1996, last blood transfusion in Aug. 1997, slow decline in counts again November 2010, AA and current count decline thought to be caused by lupus, currently taking 400mg Plaquinil