Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > AA
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AA Aplastic anemia

Old Fri Jun 5, 2015, 12:30 AM

How to lower Iron content

Hello All!

I am writing on behalf of my cousin who lives in India. My cousin was 16 years old when she was first diagnosed with aplastic anemia. She underwent a grueling treatment for a year when she was finally cured by a mixture of ATG and cyclosporine. 9 years later she’s relapsed and has been suffering for the past one year with nothing working to improve her blood counts. Because of the continuous transfusions her iron content is 10900. Unfortunately she is allergic to deferasirox (EXJADE/ASUNRA). Any ideas/suggestions how to bring her iron level down?

Thanks in advance for all your answers.

Good luck to all the mighty warriors who are fighting this terrible disease.

Deepa
Old Thu Jun 11, 2015, 04:24 PM

You may want to check out this forum about taking wheatgrass shots. We tried this at home for awhile. I can't say for sure it worked, but our ferritin level has dropped considerably. My wife's ferritin level was at 1400 at one point, but is now down to 700. I think the idea of usnig wheatgrass as a natural iron chelator was first introduced by researchers in India.
Old Tue Dec 1, 2015, 02:33 AM

Avoid foods like oysters, red meat, beef liver and dark-meat poultry, according to the Office of Dietary Supplements. If you do consume small amounts of these iron-rich foods, eat something with it that helps decrease iron absorption.