Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Sat Apr 28, 2018, 09:34 PM

MDS & osteomyelitis

My 85 year old Dad has been being treated for MDS FOR 3 years. On Wednesday he was admitted to hospital with a full blown case of osteomyelitis in his lumbar discs, pads and tissue and is in extreme pain. His cancer doc and the infectious disease doc both say it has nothing to do with his MDS. I find this hard to believe. Anyone have any experience with this?
Old Sun Apr 29, 2018, 12:19 PM
Owner

Lori,

I'm sorry that your dad developed this painful condition.

I'm not a physician, but from my understanding osteomyelitis results from an infection that starts in the bloodstream, not the bone marrow, so MDS won't cause osteomyelitis, but MDS patients could be more susceptible to osteomyelitis either because MDS has left them with a weakened immune system or because they are immunosuppressed as part of their treatment. Does that make sense to you? What kind of treatment is your dad getting?

Osteomyelitis came up in a discussion about another forum member's father, in the thread named My Dad's Story.
Old Mon Apr 30, 2018, 10:40 AM

Thanks for your help. Yes that is what I was understanding too from reading. But wonder if it’s common for MDS Patients to get it. Thanks for link to other thread
Old Tue May 1, 2018, 01:29 PM

Lori,
I really don't have an answer for you, I have mds low risk and don't have any issues you mention your father having. Just want to give you a high 5 I guess for all you are doing for your parents. Its rare it seems in this day and age of sending elderly to the care facility to find family willing to take on the task of caring for them. My wife is caring for her mother who has dementia and has to put up with me and my illness as well. Any way god bless you and all the best.
Allan