Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > General Health Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Health Issues Diet and appetite, sleep and fatigue, pain management, exercise, etc.

Old Fri Jan 4, 2013, 01:30 PM

Mood Swings

Does anybody have any suggestions how to tame mood swings, predominantly anger? I am probably depressed even though I sleep well and care about personal hygiene etc. My appetite is spotty but I can make myself eat because it's "good for me." I am losing weight even after all the good food I ate over the holidays. My anger is frustrating me and, of course, everybody around me. I am avoiding social interaction if possible, even though I crave closeness. My husband wants me to take some antidepressants but I am reluctant to take anything these days. Your thoughts are appreciated.
DX MDS RA Low Risk August 2012. DX Changed to MDS RAEB1. Progressed to AML July 2013. Participated in clinical chemo trial CPX351 and relapsed four months later in March 2014. Maintenance chemo -VIDAZA (AZA) stopped after 4 rounds. Awaiting full report from BMB.
Old Fri Jan 4, 2013, 02:33 PM

Depression

Hi Brenda,
Perhaps you could try a VERY low dose of some SSRI drug. These drugs are supposed to be good for MDS patients. They all give increased anxiety and sleep problems initially so it is important to start with a vey low dose. It takes about 3 weeks before you feel better.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Fri Jan 4, 2013, 03:12 PM

Hi Brenda,

Have you tried exercise? You may want to have your hormone levels checked also.

Nutrients helpful for depression are omega 3 oils, magnesium and B vitamins. Eating a fatty fish 2 -3 time a week would supply the omega 3 oils.

Marlene
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Fri Jan 4, 2013, 05:03 PM

Thank you for these suggestions. I am taking Vit D3, Omega 3 and eat fish often. I belong to an Integrated Cancer Care Centre where the focus is on wellness so they have been coaching me on what and how much ... I walk the dog 2-3 times a day. I am reluctant to disturb my sleep with an SSRI but realize it may be necessary. Thanks again. I do appreciate your feedback.
DX MDS RA Low Risk August 2012. DX Changed to MDS RAEB1. Progressed to AML July 2013. Participated in clinical chemo trial CPX351 and relapsed four months later in March 2014. Maintenance chemo -VIDAZA (AZA) stopped after 4 rounds. Awaiting full report from BMB.
Old Thu Jan 10, 2013, 07:31 AM

Citalopram and klonopin are what I take for anxiety, depression, mood swings. They have helped me a lot. I also take elavil to help me sleep since I am on prednisone, which interferes with sleep. I say take the drugs. They do help and with medicines known to help why suffer? Hang in there. Blessings, Lori
Lori, female age 53 dx MDS-RAEB-II 15% blasts 10-2010. Induc Chemo 10/14/10 for 7 days - results unacceptable so 5 additional days chemo. Complete Remission 12/10/10!! SCT 1-11-11 remission achieved!!! BMB 1-29-11 100% Donor! cgvh eyes,skin (Caringbridge.org/visit/loripatrick)