Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Drugs and Drug Treatments
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drugs and Drug Treatments ATG, Cyclosporine, Revlimid, Vidaza, Dacogen, ...

Old Wed May 7, 2014, 12:20 AM

cyclosporine & gum swelling solution

Hey everyone!

I thought I'd quickly share what helped me with the immense gum swelling/bleeding that happened to me after being on cyclosporine for a few months since I hadn't seen anyone mention this solution yet (maybe someone had and I missed it, but just in case!)

After reading this article I began using azithromycin toothpaste twice a day. In addition i used "magic mouthwash."

With the combination of the two, my gum swelling and bleeding decreased by ATLEAST 50% within the first week!

I've been using it for three weeks now, (however I've been lazy with it and do the mouthwash everynight, but only use that toothpaste once every other day) and my gums are still looking good. There's still some obvious swelling, but it has dramtically decreased since I started this combination.

I hope this helps someone else deal with this issue
Old Wed May 7, 2014, 03:01 AM

Hi Amz904, I'm on oldie on this site and I've never heard of that toothpaste. I've heard of the magic mouthwash, but not the azythromycine! Are these both by prescription only?

Thanks for the great tip!
Old Wed May 7, 2014, 11:58 AM

Hey NLJabbari,

Both are by prescription. For the toothpaste, I went to my local pharmacy first and asked about it. They told me they didn't have it, but a compound pharmacy should be able to make it for me. I then contacted my insurance company and found out which compound pharmacies it covers. I then contacted the compound pharmacy and they told me what the prescription needed to say and I asked my doctor to write one for me, and the toothpaste was ready in about a week.

As for the mouthwash, that too is by prescription only but you can actually make it yourself. Magic Mouthwash contains Nystatin, Maalox, Benadryl, and Lidocaine. Since I didn't like the feeling of the Lidocaine, I just purchased the Maallox and Benadyrl at my local drugstore and mixed equal parts and swished for about a minute. I think the Nystatin is by prescription only as well, but I only mix that in if I feel like I have any oral thrush-- I feel that the Maalox and Benadryl is what really does the trick in the mouthwash!