Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > General Health Issues
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Health Issues Diet and appetite, sleep and fatigue, pain management, exercise, etc.

Old Mon Aug 1, 2011, 11:01 PM

Food for platelets ?

Hi

Are there any known foods or herbs to help platelets come back?
My mom's count is very low, 6. And she has no energy or fight.
I am thinking if we could get the platelets up she could relax a little bit.

And thoughts are good ones!
Thank you

Mary
Old Tue Aug 2, 2011, 02:04 AM
Owner

The Platelet Disorder Support Association has a weg page with diet suggestions. You could ask your mom's doctor if the suggestions are appropriate for her.
Old Tue Aug 2, 2011, 04:50 AM

Low platelets

Hi Mary,
Since my dx 2006 I have been reading the PDSA site to get info about treatment for low platelet - my platelets were 65 at dx and I knew that they were decreasing. I understood that the most important thing was to avoid everything that can decrease platelets like infections and some kinds of drugs or food. All kinds of pain killers can for exaple decrease platelets.

At the PDSA site the patients write about different herbs that have increased their platelets. The latest is Papaya Leaf Extract. I have never dared to try any of these herbs because I am afraid that they can cause adverse reactions.

When your mother's platelets are as low as 6 she could perhaps get platelet transfusions. Her platelets must function well if she doesn't have any bleedings. My platelets are dysfunctional - when they were 22 I had bleedings in the mouth and was afraid of getting a brain bleeding. Then I acceptet active treatment - before I had only accepted supportive treatment - and have responded well to Thalidomide.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
72 yo, dx Mds Interm-1 2006, tx dependent from dx with HGB 7.0. Since June 2010 Thalidomide + Prednisone. Platelets have increased from 22 to about 100.