Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Drugs and Drug Treatments
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drugs and Drug Treatments ATG, Cyclosporine, Revlimid, Vidaza, Dacogen, ...

Old Tue Jan 3, 2012, 08:14 PM

High platlette with Vidaza?

Hi All!

Curious if anyone has information/experience regarding a high Platlette count after Vidaza? My husband has recently completed his second cycle of Vidaza and unexpectedly his platlette count just went through the roof. Last week his platette ct was 350, today his platlette count was 1750. His other number are low but were showing some improvement. WBC ct 1.35, RBC 2.63 and Hbg 9 all slightly up from last Tuesday. Doctor is supposed to call him tomorrow. Thanks for any info.
~Michelle
Old Tue Jan 3, 2012, 08:59 PM

My platelets were elevated after Vidaza. They seemed to peak on the first day of treatment each cycle but return to normal levels a couple of weeks later. This happened every cycle for all 10 cycles I was on Vidaza after my BMT. How often does your husband get blood work? My hematologist said he had another patient with the same experience - he called the drug company and was told that it can be a side effect of Vidaza, although a not very common one. That's why you don't see it in the side effects listings.
Karen, age 62, dx MDS RAEB-2 1/8/10: pancytopenia WBC 2.7k/Hgb 7.4/Hct 22.1/Plt 19k; complex cytogenetics -3,del(5)(q14q33),-6,+8,+mar,17% blasts. MUD BMT Johns Hopkins 11/30/10. Dx tongue cancer 8/31/12. ok now. blog mausmarrow.com
Old Tue Jan 3, 2012, 09:04 PM

High platlettes with Vidaza

Thanks Mausmish for your response, very helpful. I'm curious did your Hematologist treat the high platlette count with anything or just let it ride (so to speak)?
Old Tue Jan 3, 2012, 09:58 PM

Mine were about 600 and corrected themselves every mid-cycle so he did nothing. He didn't seem at all worried. If he isn't already, I suggest that your husband get CBC at least every two weeks to see if the platelets fluctuate. My hematologist said the other patient's were over 1000 but didn't mention if he treated, only that he had confirmed with the manufacturer (Celgene) as a previously reported side effect.
Karen, age 62, dx MDS RAEB-2 1/8/10: pancytopenia WBC 2.7k/Hgb 7.4/Hct 22.1/Plt 19k; complex cytogenetics -3,del(5)(q14q33),-6,+8,+mar,17% blasts. MUD BMT Johns Hopkins 11/30/10. Dx tongue cancer 8/31/12. ok now. blog mausmarrow.com