Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Thu Oct 22, 2015, 03:30 PM

Life's winding road

Sorry I have been MIA from this forum! My dad has been through so much lately that I just haven't had the time to write. The good news is: HE'S IN REMISSION!!!! It finally took 6 cycles of Vidaza to be in complete remission which translates to a better cure/remission rate for him. They rechecked the registry and still no match so they will be using my brother as his donor as a haplo- transplant.

WOW such a change from the original plan but Dr. R said that the cord blood has a mortality rate of 30% and a haplo is around 10%. I like those odds better. Nov 11 is the date of his new birthday if everything goes well! His regimen will be Cytoxan//fludarabine pre-transplant then 2 days of Cytoxan and the addition of tacrolimus post-transplant to prevent GVHD. I will try to be with him as much as a can but my second child will be arriving around Dec. 15! talk about stress!!
Daughter of father diagnosed with MDS RAEB-II intermediate risk due to normal cytogenetics. Blasts at 13% peripheral blood at diagnosis with no cytopenias. 6 cycles on Vidaza then on to SCT at Duke. BMT from my brother and now showing signs of relapse. DLI in the works.
Old Thu Oct 22, 2015, 03:54 PM

That is great news and comforting to hear. As you are well aware, we cling to anything and everything that is positive and heading in a good direction. Remission is great news!! Vidaza has worked well for so many people.

We wish you and your father the very best of outcomes.
Old Thu Oct 22, 2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailie View Post
That is great news and comforting to hear. As you are well aware, we cling to anything and everything that is positive and heading in a good direction. Remission is great news!! Vidaza has worked well for so many people.

We wish you and your father the very best of outcomes.
Thank you so much Bailie! I have visited this site often and your words are always encouraging. I'll try to be on here more often because I truly enjoy seeing how everyone else is doing but with a new baby coming and my dad.. well we will see. Time is so limited right now!
Daughter of father diagnosed with MDS RAEB-II intermediate risk due to normal cytogenetics. Blasts at 13% peripheral blood at diagnosis with no cytopenias. 6 cycles on Vidaza then on to SCT at Duke. BMT from my brother and now showing signs of relapse. DLI in the works.
Old Fri Oct 23, 2015, 08:53 PM

Wow! I was thinking about you the other day and wondering how your dad was doing. That is great news! I am so glad he had such a good outcome with the Vidaza! How is he feeling in general? Will be praying for your entire family and congrats on your upcoming arrival of your 2nd child! My son's birthday is Dec 14th!