Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Drugs and Drug Treatments
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drugs and Drug Treatments ATG, Cyclosporine, Revlimid, Vidaza, Dacogen, ...

Old Thu Apr 30, 2009, 06:56 PM

Question kidney problems with cyclosporine

I am in my late 50s and diagnosed with AA several years ago. After two years of successful treatment for aplastic anemia with Neoral, I have developed kidney nephropathy due to the cyclosporine. I am between a rock and a hard place because I need the cyclosporine to allow my bone marrow to work but the treatment is toxic to my kidneys. I would like to hear how others have dealt with this problem.

Thank you!
Old Fri May 1, 2009, 02:43 PM

CsA

Hi JEZ,

I look forward to the responses, because I am also on a high dose of CsA and so far my creatinine counts have been really good, but you never know...

If you don't mind sharing, how did the kidney problems start to show? I'd like to know if and when I start to have any problems. TIA

Bill
Male, 56, dx Nov2006 VSAA (BMA:0%). Responded to ATG/CsA/Prednisone/Neupogen Dec 2006, but relapsed in June 2007. Counts are responding to using CsA 200mg bid alone since Jun 2008. Last PRBC tx: Jul 2008.
Old Fri May 1, 2009, 07:23 PM

Bill,

My creatinine has been steadily climbing since last July. My baseline is 0.7 and it has climbed to 1.6. But the worst of it is the GFR calc on the lab report which indicates kidney filtering function (if I understand this properly). My norm before treatment in Jan 2007 was 87%. I just found out from a nephrology consult that last July it was 49, in Nov. it was 42, in Feb it was 39 and at the end of April it was 33. I just went to the nephrologist to figure this out. She says it is from the cyclosporine. When I called my regular hematologist, however, she was not so sure. I am very concerned right now because I feel a sense of urgency about this (apparently at 20% one needs dialysis???) but the two MDs have not yet spoken or consulted with me about a course of action. I do not believe there are a bunch of symptoms until one is in stage IV kidney failure. Right now the nephrologist says I am in stage III. Hope this at least helps you some. I am just learning about it and may not be completely accurate on it all. Hopefully some others on the forum can expound on this as well.

JEZ
Old Sun May 3, 2009, 10:30 PM

CsA

Thanks very much for the info. I will ask my doctor about the GFR. No harm checking. Dr Paquette at UCLA has only asked me about my creatinine level (I check in with him every couple of months). It has stayed around 0.8 since I started the 200mg bid. I give thanks for that!

I wish you the best of fortune with yours!
Male, 56, dx Nov2006 VSAA (BMA:0%). Responded to ATG/CsA/Prednisone/Neupogen Dec 2006, but relapsed in June 2007. Counts are responding to using CsA 200mg bid alone since Jun 2008. Last PRBC tx: Jul 2008.
Old Wed May 6, 2009, 07:06 PM

Imuren for AA instead of Cyclosporine?

Hi all,

Because of the kidney toxicity of cyclosporine, my doctor wants to start me on Imuren. She says I will start it immediately while taking cyclosprine 2 more weeks (to bridge it in), then stop the cyclosporine and just be on the Imuren, 50mg (not sure if she said Qd or BID)... Has anyone used this instead of cyclosporine for AA? I just got my counts up to the remission level using cyclosporine (Neoral) for 2 years and sure don't want everything to tank. On the other hand, I can't allow my kidneys to tank either... anything you can share about Imuren drug therapy for AA would be greatly appreciated!

JEZ
JEZ, 50s, diagnosed AA Dec 2006, ATG one time, serum sickness resolved / took cyclosporine (Neoral) with delayed response but now with good labs/ recent kidney toxicity, so off of cyclosporine now and trying generic Imuran