Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Questions and Answers
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Questions and Answers Not sure where to post a question? Post it here.

Old Sun Jul 9, 2017, 12:23 PM

Idiopathic Cytopenia of Undetermined Significance

Had a diagnosis one month ago of Idiopathic Cytopenia of Undetermined Significance. Anyone else with this diagnosis? Upcoming appointment end of July at Indiana University Simon Cancer Center. 69 years old with platlets stable in the 45-65 range. Had bone marrow biopsy done a couple months ago. Blasts were 3 percent. Read that 80 percent of people with this disorder eventually develop MDS. All of this started about one year ago with visit to family doctor when he said my platelets had been dropping and told me to see a hematologist. Lucky to date with no steroids or anything else.
Old Sun Jul 9, 2017, 11:41 PM

Hi majorindy - I had idiopathic cytopenia (low white cells - neutrophils, lymphocytes) for at least 6 years before MDS showed itself. I hope you have many years without a more serious diagnosis!
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.
Old Mon Jul 10, 2017, 07:51 PM

Hi, I have low white cells (lymphocytes and neutrophils) and low red cells...platelets usually normal. BMB shows some dysplasia and 3% blasts. I've been told my bone marrow is only producing around half the amount of cells that it should be producing for someone my age. My cytopenia is unclassified.

My sister has low platelets only and has been diagnosed (after a BMB) with SLE and anti platelet antibodies.

I've been told that it is possible that my cytopenias will progress to AML because of my chromosome deletion....waiting for the other shoe to drop but enjoying myself as much as I can and not worrying about what I can't change.

I hope your cytopenias are completely benign and not progressive.