Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Sat Sep 28, 2019, 02:59 PM

Very stange things happening with my dad

He has no remnants of CLL or MDS and his bone marrow is described as "strong"

But his wbc and neutrophils keep going down to unsafe levels.

Can you get secondary graft failure five or six months after transplant an if so is it fatal?
Old Sun Sep 29, 2019, 05:44 PM

If his marrow is described as strong (a term I have not heard) and there is no evidence of disease, then the conclusion that might be drawn is that there is either GVHD or too much immune suppression, or it may be that one of the medications is having an unintended consequence. Do you know which medications he is taking for GVHD?

I know that I am very sensitive to MMF and it knocks down my counts a lot, as does sirolumus, but I do alright with tacrolimus and prednisone. I am not saying that my experience with these drugs is normal, but it is possible that your father is having a poor reaction to one of his immune suppressive drugs.

Ironically, it is possible that he has GVHD and that he requires more immune suppression.

All of this is with the assumption that strong marrow means proper cellularity, proper engraftment statistics - like what percentage of cells are donor vs his own, etc.

Do you know where his counts are? There are many cases where lower than "normal" is ok and a "new normal" as long as they are above critical thresholds.

Getting medications right is as much art as science and has a lot of trial and error until it is right for the individual. We all react differently to the different medications and combinations, so adjustments to dosing, changes in regimens are frequently necessary. It may be frustrating, but it is unfortunately a necessary part of the process.

If you look at the effectiveness of different medications, there are very few that work on more than about 50% of patients without unintended side effects.

Lastly I would think that if your father were having secondary graft failure, that the marrow would not be described as strong, which is why I made the note above about cellularity and donor engraftment.

Dan
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.
Old Mon Sep 30, 2019, 09:34 AM

problem is he's off most of the meds at this point,

and while his reds and platelets are low stable, his whites keep going down to danger levels (1.3 neutrophil 500 levels)

its so weird its only the whites though

he has some grainix now and well get the chimerism test result Wednesday
Old Mon Sep 30, 2019, 10:47 AM

My counts were "strange" until about 1 year after transplant. I still have problems with slightly low WBC and my platelets only recently have been "normal" at 158 or so. They have been as low as 90 in the past 3 months. My whites have dropped to 1500 neutrophils and 3000 total count as well. This is 5 years after transplant.

Hopefully the chimerism study comes back with good results. In the meantime, work with him to keep illness away as much as possible.

The fact that he is off most drugs could signal that he is experiencing some hidden GVHD - it is one possibility to explore.

Good luck this week.
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.
Old Thu Oct 17, 2019, 07:02 PM

welp chimerism test came back 97% me, 3% dad. much higher then last time, now the doctor is saying she is happy with his progress (does not think their is graft failure). red and whites still drop though (but platelets are strong)

They started re-vaccinating him today

very topsy turvy process
Old Thu Nov 7, 2019, 05:37 PM

its a month later and dads condition is still the same

his reds and platlets are low but relatively stable but his whites dipped to unsafe levels again.

They dont seem worried but its hard not to be (especially when I see posts from people whose numbers were normal by now)
Old Thu Nov 7, 2019, 11:13 PM

Good news about the chimerism. Quick question, has he received any shots of GCSF like Neulasta? This can help with white counts and may help with other lines as well.

Dan
Old Fri Nov 8, 2019, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL View Post
Good news about the chimerism. Quick question, has he received any shots of GCSF like Neulasta? This can help with white counts and may help with other lines as well.

Dan
that's what they did last time and the time before that. His whites get up for to about normal and then come down within a month
Old Mon Dec 16, 2019, 04:43 PM

Welp its a month later and dads counts are improving but still in flux

rbc was 11.1 two weeks ago and now its 9.5
wbc went down but only from 5.4 to 4.5
and platelets went up from 108 to 128

he's getting his second round of immunizations today is cleared to go in an airplane (as long as he has his mask on)

Dr shore is happy it just seems to be taking a while for his new immune system to get up to regular (this is almost 9 months now)