Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Tue Dec 29, 2015, 11:21 AM

Pregnancy After BMT?

Hi all. This is my first post.

I was recently diagnosed with AA. I have a 12/12 matched sibling donor so it is likely I will go forward with a BMT in the coming months (I meet with a transplant doctor on 12/31). I know that I will likely lose my fertility during the BMT process, so I will be going through an IVF cycle next month to freeze embryos. Has anyone on here done something similar and had a successful pregnancy after BMT? I'm only 35 and have been married for just over a year and this diagnosis has really turned mine and my husband's world upside down. Any information would be so appreciated. Thank you so much.
Old Mon Jan 11, 2016, 05:58 PM

Pregnancy after bmt

Hi sorry no ones responded to your post. This board is fairly quiet but quite possibly no one has that experience to share. I don't but I wanted to let you know that I've read is successes but I know someone's story from the board would be more comforting. Freezing your eggs now would be the smart thing I would think. Hopefully someone will chime in with experience and your doctor can get you procedure details. Good luck to you

Carrie wife to Mike nhl, mds now aml
Old Mon Jan 11, 2016, 07:51 PM

MaryKate - I've been on this forum for over 4 years now and there have definitely been one or two ladies who have discussed this issue. Have you done a search?
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.
Old Fri Jun 17, 2016, 12:00 PM

reduced intensity

Hello,

Since you have a sibling match, ask your doctor if they would be willing to do a reduced intensity bone marrow transplant that excludes radiation.
In my case I also had a sibling match, did not get any radiation, and am now at the 2 year mark and am still fertile.

I had chemotherapy and ATG for 3-4 days before my transplant. I was also very worried about losing fertility. It's worth a shot!
Old Sat Jun 18, 2016, 06:46 AM

Hi shana, this might be a stupid question, but how do you know you're still fertile? I've got menapause clinic in august. Do they determine from blood tests? I'm so hoping but dr didnt give me much hope!
Now 30yr old. Diagnosed AML dec 2015 (Most likely MDS prior). Trisomy 6. Runx1 mutation also. Had induction and consolidation chemo. Marrow failure ++ so SCT on 21st of March with MUD. Married with a 1yr old!