Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Thu Sep 26, 2013, 12:02 AM

Inspirational quotes

Can you please write me your favorite inspirational quote so I can write it out for my husband to read during his up coming BMT? I just wrote him out his favorite "the only thing we have to fear is fear it's self" Franklin D Roosevelt
We would so appreciate it
Heather, wife of Ronald 36; dx PNH 2012; Dx VSAA 2013; eculizumab(Solaris) hATG 2/20/13 cyclosporine 400 mg daily. 37 units RBC and 15 units of platelets. Post BMT -pentam,vorconizole,valtrex, valcyte, actigall, Pepcid , prograf, magnesium.
10/10 MUD 10/10/13
Now no PNH or AA. Mixed Chimerisim
Old Thu Sep 26, 2013, 04:55 AM

Here is 3

Healing doesn't mean the damage never existed.
It means the damage no longer controls our lives.

Keep your face to the sun and you will never see the shadow. - Helen Keller

A bird sitting in a tree, is never afraid of the branch breaking
Because her trust is not in the branch, but in her own wings.

If you google them you may find them as posters that you could put up in the room if you like them. I don't know how to put them in here as pics.

It's a lovely thread Heather. I hope you get some more.

Honey
Dx June 2013 MDS del 5q and 7t. Further chromosone changes August 2017. Lenolidomide and 10 months on Azacytadine failed. Transition to AML August 2018 failed induction chemo. Trial drug FT2101 failed at 6 months. Next on Venetoclax with cytoterabine.
Old Thu Sep 26, 2013, 05:04 PM

It's better to light a candle than curse the darkness...

I've always been impressed by "It's better to light a candle than curse the darkness." It's from an old Chinese proverb which was saying better to do something about a problem than just complain about it. Further, a candle is a small answer to a large problem, but it is still a worthy step in the right direction, rather than just bemoaning the problem (of darkness).
Ric: Low-risk MDS (blasts <4%); 4 cycles Revlimid no positive response; PRBC transfusion dependent; so far, 392'units' over 8 3/4 years; BMB #4 (15/04/01) shows evolution to AML (blasts 20-30%) 47,XY,del(5) (q22q35),+21[24][cp24]/46,XY(1).
Old Thu Sep 26, 2013, 10:07 PM

Honey and ric thank y'all so much for the responses they mean a lot to us
Both of you shared beautiful quotes. I enjoyed that I had took a min to think about each of them and I think that will be good for his mind while in the hospital.
I wrote all four of them out and wrote yalls user name under them. I'll give them to him to read after he's admitted in the Hospital
I also asked my Facebook friends the same question and have had so manny responses I've not heard before (like yalls!) so that has been very cool.
I'll have to post some
Thank y'all again to the both of you!
I hope to see more too Honey
Heather, wife of Ronald 36; dx PNH 2012; Dx VSAA 2013; eculizumab(Solaris) hATG 2/20/13 cyclosporine 400 mg daily. 37 units RBC and 15 units of platelets. Post BMT -pentam,vorconizole,valtrex, valcyte, actigall, Pepcid , prograf, magnesium.
10/10 MUD 10/10/13
Old Fri Sep 27, 2013, 12:05 AM

This is one I quoted to my son when he was 10 and going through BMT for AA. It is juvenile, but poignant nonetheless:

Christopher Robin said to Pooh:

If ever there is tomorrow when we're not together, there is something you must always remember. You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think. But the most important thing is, even if we're apart, I'll always be with you.

Wishing your husband all the best.
Nicole, mom to Evan (20); diagnosed SAA November 2007, hATG mid-November 2007, no response after 6 months, unrelated 9/10 BMT June 2008, no GVH, health completely restored thanks to our beloved donor Bryan from Tennessee.

www.caringbridge.org/visit/evanmacneil
Old Fri Sep 27, 2013, 08:01 AM

For the caregiver.....

This got me through some tough times....

"have tenderness for the past, courage for the present and hope for the future"

The first part was the hardest for me. All the should of, would of, could of's.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Fri Sep 27, 2013, 01:54 PM

Quotes & Such

Heather,

I am doing the same thing for Doug. I have assembled a photo book with family pictures and quotes. What I did for him that I know will be meaningful, is I have put in sayings that are important to him. For example, he loves the phrase carpe diem. Also, he goes on a fishing trip every year and he calls it his "Vision Quest." Just stuff like that that will make it more personal for him.

My problem has been keeping him out of the bags that I have "hidden" these in! He is so nosy

Deb
Old Fri Sep 27, 2013, 10:34 PM

Evansmom - oh I love that! Thank u for sharing it's very sweet! Happy to read Evan is doing so well
Marlene - I think my husband will totally appreciate that quote thank you! it very true. I hope y'all are both well!
10/10 MUD 10/10/13
Old Fri Sep 27, 2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebS View Post
My problem has been keeping him out of the bags that I have "hidden" these in! He is so nosy

Deb
Deb I literally LOLed! I'm having the same trouble! What have you been packing?
I bought two plastic storage bins and packed them tightly. Tetris jenga, puzzles, 3 duck dynasty books (they look really good faith based and inspirational) battle ship, camo blankets and clothes etc... Advise from people here like plastic utensils, hard candy (for bad taste infusion moments) extra soft charmin, and my husband requested a razor scooter, 2 ft of chain, and clips (so as he says, he can scoot down the hallway and connect his IV pole to the scooter lol)
But I don't want him in those bins till we get there so if he's feeling bad or bored I can see if something in it will cheer him up. Also someone suggested Netflix and I'm happy they did! Can't believe how much is available there
I'll be thinking of y'all please message me if u need anything or want to vent.
Keep us updated! I'll do the same
10/10 MUD 10/10/13
Old Sat Sep 28, 2013, 10:31 PM

Heather,

I think that I have posted about an e-reader for Doug so he doesn't have to take his germy books. Also, I switched our Netflix to streaming for him. I was delighted to find out that we can both watch that at once on two different devices.

He is not one for games or puzzles so those are out, but he is taking a pad and pencil for writing and doodling.

He is supposed to do stretching exercises, 60 minutes of activity--walking or biking--every day no matter what!!!! He also is supposed to take two baths a day. Sooooo, I don't think he will have a whole lot of downtime or get that bored. Of course I will be there for comic relief The other day when he was getting a blood transfusion his call button was broken. I told him to repeat after me, "Yo, nurse!" The nurses thought it was hysterical and so did I. But he told me to go shopping. So not sure how much relief I will be!!!! Got to keep your sense of humor.

He goes in tomorrow for one round of platelets and will probably get the rest when he is admitted Monday. He has to be at 50 for them to put in his port. We haven't seen that number for some time.

Good luck to you. We will have to compare notes.

Deb
Old Sun Sep 29, 2013, 07:18 AM

Hi Heather,
I have been waiting to post an inspirational quote until I found one that meant something to me and maybe to you, your husband, and all those on the forums who are of faith. If you are of faith I hope it helps - if not of faith, no offense intended.

"You need not be afraid of where you're going when you know God's going with you..."

God Bless you all on your journey.
Sally
p.s. A beautiful request by the way

Last edited by Sally C : Sun Sep 29, 2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old Mon Sep 30, 2013, 03:56 PM

Sally thank you so much my husband and I are Christians.
Thank you for taking the time to find a quote that could mean a lot to all of us
10/10 MUD 10/10/13