Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 01:27 PM

Smile Transplant success at 1 year

We got my wife's 1 year bone marrow biopsy and aspiration results today and her blood levels are all in the low normal range with 1% blasts and no signs of MDS!! She has experienced very little GVHD and the doctors used the word remission for the first time today. It has been a long year with lots of ups and downs but we are very excited and I wanted to share the news and spread hope to those of you that are facing the transplant decision. She received a matched unrelated donor (MUD) transplant on May 22, 2013.
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 02:29 PM

Congratulations!!!!

Great to hear you hit the 1 year mark...

230 days and counting for me...

All the best, and may God Bless.
David
Married, father of three daughters; now 46; diagnosed w/ Major form MDS 6/18/2013; had low counts across the board; Multiple chromosome abnormalities; Finished 2nd round Dacogen 9/13; SCT - Oct. 31, 2013; Sibling match 10/10 ; 5.5% blasts down to 3%, now 1% (post BMT)
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 03:07 PM
Owner

Chad and Danielle,

This is great news. Congratulations on this huge milestone. This is the type of success story we love to hear. I'm glad you've had such a successful outcome, despite the bumps in the road.

How often do you have to go to Houston now?

Will you try to contact your wife's donor?
Old Wed Jun 18, 2014, 06:12 PM

Wow I do love the inspiration. Here's to continued great success! I am just over 100 days out.
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2014, 04:08 AM

Wonderful! Thinking of all of you who are aiming for this milestone too.
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2014, 06:43 AM

Great news I have 8 more days for my one year.

Blair
Old Thu Jun 19, 2014, 08:56 AM

congratulations

It's a good need. We are also planned for MUD transplant for my 2 year ild son.We got 10/10 donor from USA.Hope all will be ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad S View Post
We got my wife's 1 year bone marrow biopsy and aspiration results today and her blood levels are all in the low normal range with 1% blasts and no signs of MDS!! She has experienced very little GVHD and the doctors used the word remission for the first time today. It has been a long year with lots of ups and downs but we are very excited and I wanted to share the news and spread hope to those of you that are facing the transplant decision. She received a matched unrelated donor (MUD) transplant on May 22, 2013.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2014, 11:38 AM

It is great to see that several of you are close to the 1 year mark and also seem to be doing well.

DanL, I remember when my wife was at the 100 day mark we were just finishing our time in Houston. She was still on tacrolimus and it required her to replenish magnesium levels daily. She also had pretty bad headaches from the tacro. But now she is out and about driving the kids around, so hang in there.

Neil, to our pleasant surprise, MD Anderson said they would see us in 6 months! She received her 3rd round of immunizations while we were there for the 1 year appointment and I think the last round will be next time we go. They also said she could do the blood labs every two months now, but I think she is still wanting to go once per month. It seems to comfort her to get the blood work checked more frequently.

She has come such a long way and I am so proud of her!