Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Mon May 13, 2013, 09:18 AM

After your transplant, did you...l

One of the things I've not seen discussed here is mental confusion.

Doc says it's normal...but sometimes what they say and what someone says that's actually lived through it differ somewhat

Bill is Day 33 and the mental confusion is still pretty significant. Did you or your loved one go through this and if it did how long did it last?

Also, have you had to have blood transfusions after your numbers started recovering from the transplant. How about white cell counts? Did they go up and down?

He's started with a rash now...mild right now. Hoping it stays that way. He's decreased eating but still eating a sufficient amount I think..His sodium levels are low inspite of eating and drinking powerade/ V8, well salted foods and nuts and limiting water...Lower extrementy swelling is also a real problem for him. Any advise?

I very much appreciate you input
Old Mon May 13, 2013, 10:42 AM

My husband didn't have the confusion, but I've talked to many caregivers whose patient did. I think it's pretty common. As far as swelling, the PT gave my husband compression socks they usually use for burn victims. It worked great. After a few days, she'd get him a smaller pair and repeated until his legs were back to normal. Joe had at least three RBC transfusions after transplant. WBC were all over the place. Seem to be a little more consistent now on day 75.
Old Mon May 13, 2013, 07:11 PM

This could be a reaction to cyclosporin or tacrolimus. If your husband is on either one, I'd inquire as to his current med level in his blood as it may be high (toxic). Everyone has a different tolerance to cyclosporin. A dose or blood level that may be fine for one, may be intolerant for another.

Reducing the dose somewhat or switching over to Celcept (MMF) may remove these side effects.
Nicole, mom to Evan (20); diagnosed SAA November 2007, hATG mid-November 2007, no response after 6 months, unrelated 9/10 BMT June 2008, no GVH, health completely restored thanks to our beloved donor Bryan from Tennessee.

www.caringbridge.org/visit/evanmacneil
Old Sun May 19, 2013, 11:57 AM

I did not have confusion but I had some memory lapses. My wife and family referred to it as chemo brain.