Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Wed Sep 27, 2017, 10:09 AM

transplant day-1

i have been lurking here for months,working my way through treatment, Went through 5 cycles of Vidaza. I have RCMD was transfusion dependent for awhile. Now I am in remission working through my pre-regiment drugs and go in for the transplant in the morning. I am part of a BU/CY clinical trial through John Hopkins and have a 10/10 MUD match. The CYtoxan I received the last two days has hit me hard, but ready to go for tomorrow.
Old Wed Sep 27, 2017, 11:31 AM

Hi akmegehee. I was transplanted for PNH almost 6 yrs ago. I also had a 10/10 MUD. My whole in hospital experience was not too bad, but my treatment process was prob. much less severe than most people experience from what I know. In respect to myself, I was actually looking forward to my transplant bcse I was so completely wiped out by that point. I had some ups and downs and I still have some lingering GVHD, but overall I am doing well. As long as you stay positive and trust in your medical staff, you should do well. There are many of us here who are glad to help!!

Mario
Old Wed Sep 27, 2017, 04:27 PM

Hello akmegehee,

Wishing you all the best at transplant My husband also has MDS RCMD and transfusion dependent. Just at the beginning of his journey.

All the best for you,
Rarity
Old Wed Sep 27, 2017, 07:19 PM

transplant day-1

Thanks for the encouragement. Rarirty I was only diagnosed in March and by April I was transfusion dependent. I am high -risk with chromosome issues. I went through 5 cycles of Vidaza and have been cancer-free and chromosome issue free through two different BMB,s ,I have lead a normal life since June but the Doctors always say it is still there. A lot I don't understand like my WBC count is 5.0 after 7 days of chemo. Wouldn't that be an issue?
Old Thu Sep 28, 2017, 01:00 AM

akmegehee,

my conditioning treatment was BU/CY as well. It did take a while for the WBC to crash completely - I think that I hit the nadir at day +7 - +10. They seem to hang in there for a while and then just come crashing down.

I was also treated with ATG after the infusion of stem cells, and that is the part that hit me the hardest.

I would not worry just yet about the higher WBC - but as always, make sure to talk to your doctors about what they think to help put your mind at ease.

Good luck over the next several weeks. Stay strong, eat well, rest well.

Dan
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.
Old Fri Sep 29, 2017, 02:46 AM

All the best for your transplant Akmeghee. I'll be watching for your posts.
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.
Old Fri Oct 20, 2017, 11:48 AM

transplant day 21

Wow, I am at day 21, no big issues. I struggled with nausea early-on and a ruthless case of mucusitis, mouth and throat sores. I am so grateful the mouth issues are amost completely gone and I fully engrafted a few days ago. My Abs Neut are at .77 and WBC at 1.0. I am struggling at at the moment with low platelets and nose and mouth bleeding from that, but feel certain that will go a I get some platelet production I feel like I am just now heading into the recovery stage with treatment for side effects....
Old Fri Oct 20, 2017, 04:34 PM

Hello akmegehee

Very happy for you! Seems like you moving right along in the right direction. Keep it up.

Rarity