Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Questions and Answers
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Questions and Answers Not sure where to post a question? Post it here.

Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 07:27 PM

Dietary help needed!!

Hi, my boyfriend is currently undergoing his second battle with ALL. Until he receives his bone marrow transplant, he is under strict dietary restrictions for neutropenia. He also has diabetes though, making it rather difficult to find foods for him to eat that don't contradict one or both of the guidelines. I'm pretty lost when it comes to feeding him anymore. : /
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 09:10 PM

Kaylee,

My Glucose levels were a little high while going through my transplant and after, so I started eating rice krispies for breakfast (which is also gluten free), and Glucerna protein shakes, it's just like Ensure or Boost drinks... You may want to look at almond, soy or other milk substitutes, as they may have less sugar than milk (skim milk has a lot of sugar)... I'm not diabetic, but always try and keep my sugar and salt intake in check...

Here is a site about Neutropenic diets:
http://www.upmc.com/patients-visitor...enic-diet.aspx

No expert, but just some thoughts....

All the best, and God Bless...
Married, father of three daughters; now 46; diagnosed w/ Major form MDS 6/18/2013; had low counts across the board; Multiple chromosome abnormalities; Finished 2nd round Dacogen 9/13; SCT - Oct. 31, 2013; Sibling match 10/10 ; 5.5% blasts down to 3%, now 1% (post BMT)

Last edited by Whizbang : Sat Feb 15, 2014 at 09:13 PM. Reason: add website
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 10:03 PM

I've been trying to find a Boost or Ensure flavor that he likes, but I never even thought about almond or soy products! Thank you so much!
Old Sat Feb 15, 2014, 10:25 PM

Hi Kaylee Mae - do you know about Stevia as a natural sweetener which is OK for diabetics? You can buy it as powder, liquid or tiny tablets. You only need a little bit because it's quite strong.

How about smoothies whizzed up with bananas, frozen berries + any other allowable fruit + non-dairy milk, + almond meal (or other ground nuts) + vanilla and with a little ice whizzed in? You can make a "meal" out of these.
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.
Old Sun Feb 16, 2014, 09:08 AM

Cheryl- Thanks for your feedback. The fresh fruits are a no no with the neutropenia, they can carry way too many microorganisms. He doesn't use much sugar to begin with, but I'll talk to him about the stevia. Any nuts he can eat have to be baked, nothing raw. : (
Old Sun Feb 16, 2014, 12:29 PM

I don't understand how the two conflict except for eating raw or undercooked foods. You can lightly saute or steam all vegetables which would comply with both diets.

Regarding fruits. Any with thick peels should be ok as long as you wash them prior to peeling and handle them with clean hands. We always washed them in a vinegar and water solution.

I made smoothies a lot while John was in the hospital with a zero white count. It' takes some time to find the right combo and texture so you really have to play with it.

Is the issue have to do more with what's tastes good to him at this point. His taste preferences may have narrowed and that makes it difficult for you.
Marlene, wife to John DX w/SAA April 2002, Stable partial remission; Treated with High Dose Cytoxan, Johns Hopkins, June 2002. Final phlebotomy 11/2016. As of July 2021 HGB 12.0, WBC 4.70/ANC 3.85, Plts 110K.
Old Mon Feb 17, 2014, 11:13 AM

Hi Kaylee Mae,

When I was severely neutropenic, I drank a lot of almond, soy, and coconut milk, and coconut water (I think the coconut water has a lot of sugar, but perhaps not so much with the milk).

Also, my hospital (Colorado Blood Cancer Center at Presbyterian St Luke's) served us all sorts of raw fruits and vegetables, even when my ANC was 0 during treatment. That may sound crazy, but I'm confident they are an excellent hospital and know what they are doing. The crucial part is making sure the raw fruits and vegetables are very clean with something made specifically for the task. My hospital used something EPA-approved called Victory Wash, described in the link below:

http://www.foodservice.com/food_safety/fb4.cfm

...when I got home and started slowly to be less neutropenic, I ate fruits and vegetables washed in something called NutriBiotic GSE Grapefruit Seed Extract (I still use this today). I reviewed that with one of my doctors, and he OKed this. In my parents' support group, I believe one of the patients said his doctor told him even vinegar is good to wash fresh food in when you are neutropenic (same as Marlene said).

Of course, I am not a doctor, so I'd urge you to review any of this with your boyfriend's doctors/hospital before trying. Also, I have aplastic anemia, maybe the rules are different with leukemia. But since it sounds like you are looking hard for dietary options, and eating fresh food is probably healthy if possible, I wanted to mention it.

I'm sorry to hear you guys have to go through this, but as I'm sure you know transplant can be a wonderful and permanent cure. Your boyfriend is fortunate to have you watching out for him and making sure what he eats is safe.
Kevin, male age 45; dx SAA 02/2012 - Hgb 5.8, platelets 14, ANC 200, 1% cellularity. Received ATG 03/2012. As of 03/2015, significant improvement - Hgb 15, platelets 158, ANC fluctuates around 1000, Lymphocytes 620. Tapering cyclosporine. BMB 20-30% cellularity.
Old Thu Apr 3, 2014, 09:51 AM

fresh fruits and vegetables

Hi

I have spent long periods neutropenic and now, post transplant, I still have similar restriction.

I am allowed fresh fruit and vegetables if they are bought and transported home immediately. They must be used asap. The most important thing is to wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water before thoroughly washing the fruit or vegetables. Even fruit with thick peels must be washed prior to peeling.

I have been told to avoid fresh mushrooms because of possible bacterial contamination. I would add sprouts to this since they are known to carry salmonella.

Leftovers must be eaten within three days. Food must be served withing 30 min. of cooking. Frozen food must be reheated in an oven at 400F.

I have been lucky so far. Good luck to you!
Old Wed Apr 9, 2014, 04:34 AM

You can purchase fruit/vegie washes which are non-toxic or make your own (http://www.wikihow.com/Make-an-Organ...Vegetable-Wash). I wouldn't hesitate to use fruits like bananas once they are washed. Avocadoes are a lovely soft option too.
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.