Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Transplants
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Transplants Bone marrow and stem cell transplantation

Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 07:02 PM

5 Yrs Post Transplant

This week marks the 5th anniversary of my stem cell transplant for PNH. The great staff where I go; (PSL in Denver) are the best, so that helps as well. I have a few lingering issues, but my transplant doctor said she would do it all over again and so would I.

Mario
Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 07:15 PM
Owner

Mario,

This is a great milestone to celebrate! Let's not forget to give a cheer for your donor too!

I know it wasn't always smooth sailing for you -- you've mentioned dry eyes, rashes, and shingles, for example, plus the stem cell translate itself -- but it must feel great to be 5 years out.

I hope it's feeling like a part of your life from the past, and not something you still think about that often. How often do you have checkups now?
Old Fri Dec 16, 2016, 01:50 PM

Hi Neil. Yes, you are correct in my great appreciation of my still anon donor. I'm really curious about what they; (he), is like. If that makes sense! I don't think about the ordeal as much as I used to, but it's something that will always be with me. As far as the frequency of check-ups are concerned, I have been going every few months or so bcse of my GVHD, but they're sort of a routine at this point. And of course, not being tired all the time is still becoming a routine because I guess that I got used to being tired all the time when I had PNH!

Mario
Old Fri Dec 16, 2016, 02:06 PM

Mario, your success is very encouraging. Have you (or anyone) ever had it explained to you why almost everyone "gets tired easily" after transplant? I have never heard the medical reason. It seems like after the transplant event we shouldn't have that tired feeling for a long period.

Last edited by bailie : Fri Dec 16, 2016 at 07:09 PM.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2016, 05:21 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailie View Post
Have you (or anyone) ever had it explained to you why almost everyone "gets tired easily" after transplant? I have never heard the medical reason.
Without medical training, I don't know any authoritative answer, but it seems to me that your red blood cells are working hard at what they always do -- powering your cells, body, and brain -- but they are also hard at work on your overall recovery. If you think of what you went through during a transplant then it's not surprising to me that much hemoglobin-powered energy would be going into rebuilding your health, stamina, and strength, leaving less energy than a normal person for general activities.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2016, 11:55 AM

Hi Bailie. The answer that Neil gave sounds like something that I read a while back. With that, many of the associated pre and post transplant meds are very hard on your body. And some people are able to tolerate meds and treatments better than others. I came across this article recently.

May we all continue to live as well as possible!

Mario

http://www.nature.com/bmt/journal/v3.../1705624a.html
Old Tue Dec 20, 2016, 03:37 PM
Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDay5150 View Post
I came across this article recently.

http://www.nature.com/bmt/journal/v3.../1705624a.html
What an interesting report. The study concludes that the ongoing fatigue of many post-transplant patients correlates with (and is presumably the result of) coping difficulties, fear of relapse, mis-attributing fatigue to their past disease, sleep difficulties, and a lack of social support.

I suppose that's good news, because if these are contributing factors, rather than the direct effects of transplants, then there are ways to deal with the problems that may help.
Old Tue Dec 20, 2016, 04:33 PM

Thank you Mario, great information. Then there is the aging factor since we are all getting a little older while experiencing the effects. Another variable is the different medications which seem to be different for most of us.