Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Community > Tell Your Story
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tell Your Story Say hello or share your experiences

Old Fri Nov 18, 2011, 10:02 AM

Evan MacNeil's Personal Profile

Hi everyone,

My son Evan was diagnosed with severe aplastic anemia weeks after his 10th birthday in October 2007. Evan is a healthy strong 14 year old today.

You can read Evan's story from ATG through BMT and onto recovery here.

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post them here in this thread, as I continue to check in often at Marrowforums, in the hopes that I may be of support to others along the way.

Best wishes,

Nicole
Nicole, mom to Evan (20); diagnosed SAA November 2007, hATG mid-November 2007, no response after 6 months, unrelated 9/10 BMT June 2008, no GVH, health completely restored thanks to our beloved donor Bryan from Tennessee.

www.caringbridge.org/visit/evanmacneil

Last edited by evansmom : Fri Nov 18, 2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old Fri Nov 18, 2011, 01:11 PM

Thumbs up Evan

Hi Evan and his family,
Thank you for a wonderful story! You are all so brave .
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Sun Nov 20, 2011, 03:29 AM

This is a heartbreaking and inspiring account of a terrifying journey. Thank you for mentally reliving those times to bring this to us. I am so glad that Evan is doing well now.
Catherine, wife of Bruce age 75; diagnosed 6/10/11 with macrocytic anemia, neutropenia and mild thrombocytopenia; BMB suggesting emerging MDS. Copper deficient. Currently receiving procrit and neuopogen injections weekly, B12 dermal cream and injections, Transfusions ~ 5 weeks.
Old Tue Nov 22, 2011, 09:21 PM

Thank you Birgitta and Catherine for your kind words!
Nicole, mom to Evan (20); diagnosed SAA November 2007, hATG mid-November 2007, no response after 6 months, unrelated 9/10 BMT June 2008, no GVH, health completely restored thanks to our beloved donor Bryan from Tennessee.

www.caringbridge.org/visit/evanmacneil
Old Mon Dec 15, 2014, 06:12 PM

Please help!

Hello
I just stumbled upon this page and I greatly appreciate you sharing your story! I am really hoping you can help me...we are also from Ontario and at McMaster hospital. They are looking at Aplastic Anemic for my DD who is 8 years old! This has been a week and a half and I am just spinning!
I am hoping to connect with you since you have gone through everything!
I am having trouble private messaging you.
My email is childerhose (at) hotmail.com
Thank you!
Melissa
Old Mon Jun 1, 2015, 03:51 PM

Hi Nicole, thank you for your story abt your son. Positive outcomes need to be told, esp when a young child has a very bad disease such as AA. I was diagsd in April 2011 w/ PNH and I had a mostly succ BMT in Dec 2011. I have some mild GVHD, but my post-BMT experience has been fairly easy. Mainly just dr's appts. I had abt the best match poss and my donor is still unknown, so it's great to hear that your son has some info abt his donor or has been able to meet them. Good luck in the future.
Mario