Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Drugs and Drug Treatments
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drugs and Drug Treatments ATG, Cyclosporine, Revlimid, Vidaza, Dacogen, ...

Old Mon Aug 20, 2007, 10:43 AM

Smile dacogen vs vidaza

I am just finishing my 4th cycle on TLK199 (pills) with counts of platelets 25, hemoglobin 11.5 & WBC 6.81 with my third BM Biopsy scheduled for end of month. Counts have not changeed since I started trial, so doctor is talking about dacogen or vidaza. If you have any pros or cons on these two drugs, I would appreciate your input. Thanks
Jordan diagnosed MDS 2/5/07, treated with procrit since 2002, treated with chemo for lymphoma cancer in the kidney 1998: Latest BM Biopsy 12/20/08 shows 8 % blasts with severe low counts of platelets (7)
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 11:05 AM

I tried vidaza for 4 cycles with no success. My counts actually dropped while on this chemo, and my transfusion needs increased, which I was told is common when starting this treatment. Mine did not recover while on this medication. I am now on revlimid and have been transfusion free for 14 weeks. Before revlimid and a lot of prayer, I was transfusion dependent every 1 - 2 weeks.
Tom, age 56, diagnosed with MDS RAEB Oct of 2006. Previously treated w/ vidaza, unsuccessfully. Revlimid successful 1 year. Progressed to AML 4/08 w/ 20% blasts, now in remission. BMT to take place 10/08.
Old Tue Aug 21, 2007, 10:29 PM

vidaza

I have had six cicles of the Vidaza. It works for me it brought my hemoglobin up to 12 at one point from a 8.5. I have not had a transfusion in 5 months. However, the chemo tires me. and it seems that every time it takes me longer to get over the treatment. I also have to take a zofran each day of the treatment, otherwise I get very nauseous. The Vidaza and or the zofran combined make very tired and constipated. Good luck with it.
Old Thu Aug 23, 2007, 03:28 PM

Hi Jordan

I took the trial treatment of TLK199 and it didn't help me. I personally would pick Dacogen over Vidaza. I have taken the Dacogen off and on since last the middle of last year and it has worked great for me. good luck
Old Thu Sep 6, 2007, 10:22 PM

Improved BM Biopsy

Just got results of biopsy, blasts declined from 9% to 6%, WBC 7.7, Hem 12.5 & Platlets 27. Therefore I am continuing with TLK199 treatment.
Jordan diagnosed MDS 2/5/07, treated with procrit since 2002, treated with chemo for lymphoma cancer in the kidney 1998: Latest BM Biopsy 12/20/08 shows 8 % blasts with severe low counts of platelets (7)
Old Sun Apr 6, 2008, 02:05 PM

Vidaza

I'm assuming your MDS is considered secondary due to the chemo treatments you had for lymphoma in your kidney in 1998. My husband has been diagnosed with secondary MDS due to having CHOP chemo for Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma in 1998. We will be going to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN to see if he is a good candidate for a SCT. The MDS doctor from Mayo has recommended to the oncologist/hematologist here in Des Moines, IA that my husband start the drug therapy Vidaza. My husband has an appointment on Tuesday to see his Des Moines doctor who will get him started with the drug therapy. So I will let you know how he does on that. Please reply with any information you can give us with your diagnosis/history. We may have some things in common.

Regards
Sandy & Pete Peterson