Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Community > Tell Your Story
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tell Your Story Say hello or share your experiences

Old Fri Aug 24, 2007, 04:30 PM

New to MDS and forum.

Hello, I am new to MDS as well as new in learning to use a forum. About all I've learned about MDS I have found on the internet.
In June this year my husband age 73 was told he has mds. Had BMB that showed high grade RAEB. He has low white count and low platelets. He had one series of Dacogen therapy and for 2 wks was improving then all of a sudden he
developed pneumonia that came on so quickly I couldn't even get him to the to the car to take him to the hosp. before he was unable to help himself in any way or even understand what I needed him to do to help me get him there.
He spent a week in the hosp being treated with antibiotics and given platelets. Dr has said he will not do any more Dacogen. We see his Dr next week. So for right now I am just trying to learn as much as I can.

Geri
Old Fri Aug 24, 2007, 10:30 PM

Geri,

Welcome to the group. You will find many helpful and kind people here. Feel free to ask any specific questions.

Zoe
Old Mon Aug 27, 2007, 06:01 PM

Thanks Zoe, I'm glad I found this site, I'm sure I have lots of questions as time goes by.

Geri
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 10:25 PM

Geri,
I am new also, My Mother was diagnosed at the age of 74 with MDS. I learned so much from her and the doctors. It made me wish I had continued with nursing school. I know I am not the one with MDS but my Mother was my best friend and I was there with her through it all. Stay strong and stay positive. I read alot also, although sometimes I wish I hadn't, especially if it was a stressful period. I hope you have friends and family to talk to because throughout the treatments it's helpful to talk and get your feelings out.
God bless you and your husband.
Beth, daughter of Mary age 75; diagnosed MDS Oct. 2005. Just recently passed away; 21 months after being diagnosed and treated. She was truly an amazing woman who never gave up and never questioned why.