Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > AA
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

AA Aplastic anemia

Old Fri Oct 26, 2012, 10:53 PM

Blasts in blood, am I paranoid.

Hi everyone!

It's been a while, but I have been doing pretty well. I just had a CBC done the other day, and the lab says that I have .05 blasts in my blood...but it fell into the middle "normal" range.

My counts are good and have been moving slowly upward. This seems to be a new feature that did not appear on the rundown of previous labs. Great, something else to scare me with!

I have heard that any blasts in your blood are bad.

Any feedback? Thanks guys.
Old Sat Oct 27, 2012, 12:33 AM

Hi Ryan,

Do you have or have you recently had a significant infection of some sort?
I believe it is unusual for blasts to be found in the peripheral blood. A few in the bone marrow is normal.

I think it's a good idea to book an appt. with your hematologist to specifically discuss your concerns regarding this. 0.05 is a very small amount but still, push to have the appropriate follow up. I think a bone marrow biopsy ASAP may be in order as one could suspect your blast count will be higher in the marrow.

Hopefully everything checks out fine, but if something is brewing, the sooner it gets figured out, the better.

Take care,
Nicole, mom to Evan (20); diagnosed SAA November 2007, hATG mid-November 2007, no response after 6 months, unrelated 9/10 BMT June 2008, no GVH, health completely restored thanks to our beloved donor Bryan from Tennessee.

www.caringbridge.org/visit/evanmacneil
Old Sat Oct 27, 2012, 04:32 AM

Hi Ryan,

From what I believe that blasts in your bone marrow are considered normal if under 5% but my blood results say above .01 is high for blasts in blood. When I was first diagnosed the blasts in my blood were at .06 and my BMB showed 13% blasts in my marrow. However the blast count in my peripheral blood would fluctuate especially if i had an infection. I would definitely be asking for a BMB especially if the blasts continue to show in your blood counts.
Old Sat Oct 27, 2012, 09:48 AM

Hmmm....

Well,

I had a massive cold a week ago, and they have been hitting me with some phlebotomies to get the iron levels in line.

The weird thing is, my counts are all in the normal range. I will talk to my hemo and see what he thinks.

Ryan